Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Chain dropping off with Superstar Plasma chain guide??
  • mtbtomo
    Free Member

Since going 1×10 with a Superstar Plasma chain guide, the chain has dropped off more regularly than when it was 3×10.

It drops off but then I need to loosen the guide and roller to allow the chain back on.

Can’t get the top guide any closer to the chainset, or it would be rubbing with the middle ring chain ring tabs, and thought I’d pushed the bottom roller right up against the chainring.

At a loss as to how its dropping off. Would rotating the whole back plate help?

Has anyone else had this issue with the Superstar Plasma or have I just not set it up correctly somehow?

kayak23

Got any pics of your setup?

Is the 10-speed chain a smidge narrower? Can’t recall if they are or not.
    Anyway, I suspect the top guide on the Plasma may be a little ‘baggy’.
    You may be able to bodge something to contain it better but otherwise, I suspect you’ll have to get your wallet out.

Incidentally, my Plasma has always been spot on, on my Prince Albert although I had to slightly bend the backplate to get it lined up sweet.
    In terms of rotation, it is rotated clockwise so that the lower guide roller is a few mm off the chainstay(on my PA hardtail)

PrinceJohn

Are you using the original ramped middle ring? That often causes problems…

jimthelad
    Free Member

I had this same problem, and found that the gap in the top cage section was too wide, therefore allowing the chain to drop off. So I cracked out the chisel and took some material off of the corner of the cage that fouled on the chain ring bolts when the I lowered the cage. I then filed the surfaces of the 2 parts of the cage that meet, to reduce the gap in the middle of the cage, to only just wider than the chain. Then to further reduce the size of the entrance to the cage, I wrapped a zip tie through the cage and positioned the head to block the entrance above the chain. Works perfectly now.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

Mine works fine. Sounds like its not set up quite right. Any photos?

mtbtomo
    Free Member

It’s an FSA DH ring so not ramped. Thought the top guide might be a bit wide but surely any narrower and it would rub at the extremes of the cassette?

Will post photos later, when I can get on a property computer.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Photo…

allmountainventure
    Free Member

I think the maybe lower guide is too far in and maybe a bit too far round, i.e need to come out and possibly anticlockwise a bit as well.

Got a photo looking at the top of the chainring from the front, to see the clearance on the top guide.

What happens if you back-pedal?

mtbtomo
    Free Member

If I back pedal, it all feeds through very nicely with no problems.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Chain dropping off with Superstar Plasma chain guide??’ is closed to new replies.