Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Chain Device For Carbon 456?
  • jambon
    Free Member

Just finished building up new frame but mildly annoyed that my BB mount Stinger won’t fit on the 72mm shell of the 456.

Anything out there that fits for 2 front ring setup? (Granny and Middle + Bash)

Either that or can I have no spacer on the non-drive side and have the stinger and a spacer on the drive side – this would allow chain device to work but chain line and offset pedals doesn’t sound good to me.

Why oh why hasn’t it got ISCG mounts???????????

andyl
    Free Member

You should only have one spacer on the drive side anyway. Surely you can just remove that and put the chain device on in place of the spacer?

They didn’t fit ISCG mounts as it is very difficult to make the mounting robust enough on a carbon frame due to the point loads.

Although I don’t see why they can’t make them part of the aluminium BB insert. You can get ISCG adapter plates from E13 that fit in place of the BB spacer but not sure if they fit correctly. Will find out next week when mine arrives.

jambon
    Free Member

I need a spacer plus the stinger otherwise the granny bolts foul the plate on the stinger and the positioning of the roller is all wrong and the chain rubs along the plate when in granny gear. So no can do on the spacer on one side and stinger on the other.

Maybe a problem related to the RF Deus crankset I’m using too. Don’t like it but it’s all I have.

andyl
    Free Member

So no can do on the spacer on one side and stinger on the other

eh?

You shouldnt have a spacer on the non-drive side at all. Unless your cranks need more spacers than normal shimano set ups.

ie with no chain device etc on normal shimano you should have 1x 2.5mm spacer on the drive side only.

As for the chainring bolts – yup this seems quite common on frames that only normally have 1 spacer on the drive side. There should be enough BB thread to run with the chain device and a spacer for more clearance as this is the same amount of thread as you would normally get on a bike running 2×2.5mm drive side spacers. But if worried you could get a Saint BB with longer threads.

Doing this will mean the rings are further out but as you don’t have a large ring I don’t see the problem. It may actually be a better chainline for the granny and middle.

But there is the issue of whether it will cause problems with the main crank shaft not being long enough when attaching the non-drive arm. But maybe 2.5mm is not a problem?

Other solution might be look for some bolts with lower profile heads or get some of the 0.7mm spacers and try and get away with using one or 2 of them instead of a full 2.5mm spacer. I think raceface do metal 1mm spacers for about 99p on CRC.

jambon
    Free Member

Ah, I’ll take the non-drive side spacer off then – I’ve always had 68mm BB frames with 3 spacers in total before – new fangled 72mm is confusing me.

Ta.

andyl
    Free Member

yeah you need 3×2.5 with 68mm and 1×2.5 with 73mm. It is confusing when you first get into it but it’s a lot clearer than all the old octalink axle length rubbish.

PS the bb area on the C456 is 73mm not 72mm.

oh and don’t get it faced!

jambon
    Free Member

Cheers Andy – just returned from 1st ride – my local techie descent. Frame is a blast – XC whippet on the ups and total hooligan on the downs.

Chain device fine now with one spacer on the drive side.

Really glad I took on one’s advice on sizing – the 20″ fits like a glove.

andyl
    Free Member

you must be tall then! (i ride a 16″ one 🙁 )

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Chain Device For Carbon 456?’ is closed to new replies.