Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Caylee Anthony Murder case USA
  • highclimber
    Free Member

Is anyone else following this murder case? Very surpised its not getting airtime on the news over here considering the subject:

little girl goes missing, mother goes on a bender, comes back to grandmother wondering where her Granddaughter is, mother makes up story about how she can’t see her, she then confesses that the 2 yr old was kidnapped by a nanny. Grandmother notices that the mother of the daughter’s car smells of decomposing something or other, body is found, mother arrested for murder etc facing Death Penalty.

there are more details here:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/09/casey-anthony-trial_n_859564.html#s288311&title=Casey_Anthony_Trial

and here:
    http://edition.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/06/01/florida.casey.anthony.trial/index.html?eref=igoogledmn_topstories

molgrips
    Free Member

Sounds grim, wouldn’t really want to follow that!

highclimber
    Free Member

it is grim but intereting nonetheless considering the overwhelming evidence against the defendant!

ilovemygears
    Free Member

its funny how the american legal system is so hard, i hope to move to Norway in the next few years, the max prison sentence for any thing is 21 years, dont know if this is good or bad, but more interesting.

molgrips
    Free Member

The death penalty is a disgrace.

wwaswas

considering the overwhelming evidence against the defendant!

All those reports contain is evidence she’s a habitual liar.

derp
    Free Member

The death penalty is a disgrace.

Now there is a monster STW thread in the making…..

highclimber
    Free Member

I don’t think the prosecution would go for death penalty considering its another member of the family the grandparents could lose but doesn’t stop the press jumping on saying its a possibility.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s been done. The argument goes like this:

“It’s a disgrace”
    “Yeah, but as a victim wouldn’t you want revenge?”

Then we divide into three camps:

1) Vengeance!
    2) What’s the point?
    3) Two wrongs don’t make a right.

yossarian
    Free Member

i hope to move to Norway in the next few years

lol, not china or somewhere tough on crime? You are wanting to move to one of the most liberal, wealthy and relaxed countries in the world instead? How will you cope??? 🙂

maccruiskeen

Plenty of our own homegrown murders don’t get coverage here, the press is very selective, almost arbitrarily (and possibly sometimes less so) as to whats stories it carries and which it doesn’t.

molgrips
    Free Member

Mac – from that link:

I believe the reason Mr Morgan’s story was not as widely covered as Mrs Wakely’s was that Mr Morgan was black and Mrs Wakely was white.

Oh really? Nothing to do with the random nature of newspaper editing then? 🙄 Or the fact that covering two almost identical stories results in bored readers?

5thElefant
    Free Member

2) What’s the point?

Value for money?

The Chinese way, not so much the American way.

maccruiskeen

Nothing to do with the random nature of newspaper editing then?

Depends if thats a one off or a broader pattern – I’m not suggesting either, my point was lots of UK murders don’t get UK coverage, so its not surprising that a US one doesn’t.

Not sure how all or most of the press taking the same decision constitutes random, they by and large choose the same stories and ignore the same stories. Perhaps for different reasons each time, maybe for no reason all the time.

maccruiskeen

Then we divide into three camps:

1) Vengeance!
    2) What’s the point?
    3) Two wrongs don’t make a right.

Not if Ton has anything to do with it, then it has to be totally binary:

0= no
    1= yes

fist pie for anyone who introduces shades of grey or even pretty colours into the arguement 🙂

Ton has a sideline in devising the Daily Mail’s opinion polls

konabunny
    Free Member

the random nature of newspaper editing

I honestly cbf’d to get into more than this (which I realise is a pre-emptive dummyspit) but newspaper editing isn’t random.

Also: f’kin hell, I hope I’m looking as good as Michael Morgan and his wife (assuming she’s a similar age) when I’m 51! There’s two portraits in their attic…

highclimber
    Free Member

it is rather strange that the 24hr news stations jumped on a breaking story last night that a house in Texas was being searched for a mass burial ground that turned out to be a false alarm! rather amusing listening to the american reporter being interviewed on BBCnews24 saying that their (BCCs) sources were wrong and nothing was going on, now there is hardly any trace of the story on the website.

molgrips
    Free Member

newspaper editing isn’t random

No, quite right, that was poorly worded. Maybe.. fickle is the word? That sounds wrong too. Newspaper editors surely want to make their paper a good read. They aren’t doing a public service by reporting what’s gone on. So they choose stories that will make the paper interesting. If they’ve got two stories the same they wouldn’t want to include them both.

highclimber
    Free Member

If they’ve got two stories the same they wouldn’t want to include them both.

sometimes they do. can’t give examples but i’m sure i’ve read articles that defer to similar stories in the same article.

molgrips
    Free Member

Well yes, comparing would be different.

thomthumb
    Free Member

Value for money?

life (proper life, in the US too) is cheaper than the death penalty given the amount of appeals etc that have to be heard by the state.

cynic-al
    Free Member

WTF are those real Daily Fail polls? Yes/no is not a proper answer!

ilovemygears
    Free Member

yossarian – Member
    i hope to move to Norway in the next few years
    lol, not china or somewhere tough on crime? You are wanting to move to one of the most liberal, wealthy and relaxed countries in the world instead? How will you cope???

It also has some of the best mountain biking in the world, i like to experience different things and ideas.. and when i lose plot catch some one stealing my bike and attack them with a chainsaw ill be allright 🙂

maccruiskeen

WTF are those real Daily Fail polls? Yes/no is not a proper answer!

completely! hillarious isn’t – they post question, make it unanswerable and people still answer

I saw a customer satisfaction survey in B&Q a wee while ago – it offered to enter you into a prize draw if you gave them top marks.

highclimber
    Free Member

I like how they ask two questions in the same question which are completely disparate! quality!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Caylee Anthony Murder case USA’ is closed to new replies.