Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Cars with mirrors folded in
  • fourbanger
    Free Member

Following on from the “motorbikes making progress whilst following the highway code to the annoyance of substandard car drivers” thread, has anyone else noticed an increase in the number of cars bimbling around the place with their mirrors folded in?
    Usually on newer cars with electric folding mirrors it seems. Is it an electrical glitch or are people just folding them to go through spaces and too useless to unfold them again. Any ideas?

Cougar

Never seen it myself. On mine, it’s automatic with the central locking, but there’s a button to trigger it manually. Useful on single track country lanes.

Why people would drive like that, I’ve no idea. Set it accidentally and don’t know how to undo it, perhaps?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Never seen it, they’re normally automatic. Maybe people over-ride them to park somewhere (earlier ones were not auto) and forget. It’s worrying tht they can forget – I’d be lost without mirrors.

Tom83

I notice it a bit, always thought they were either the sort of driver who ‘doesn’t need mirrors’ or that the glass was broken.

LoCo
    Free Member

Is it the new ‘driving with your fog lights on in the daytime’ ? 😉

druidh
    Free Member

Never seen it

CountZero

I’ve done it once or twice, I’m in the unfortunate position of not being a posh git with a car whose mirrors fold in when parking; some of us have to live with an eight year old Skoda, so parking where the mirrors might get smashed by close passing traffic means I always fold the mirror on the traffic side in.
    If that’s the passenger side, then if I forget and drive off, I have to stop to fold it out, I’m not reaching across the car when moving. That might mean driving for a mile or two to find a pull-in.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Is it the new ‘driving with your fog lights on in the daytime’ ?

Probably. Seems they’re all additive and we’re progressively accepting worse standards.

bigG
    Free Member

I deliberately leave mine folded in, they are Electric so I could fold them out but since I drive with my fog lights on all the time I don’t care what happens behind me, I’m too busy bullying the oiks out of my way.

footflaps

See it quite a bit on my commute to work – really irritates me as it means the drivers don’t care about cyclists / other people.

Drac

Never seen but I’d imagine it motorcyclists pushing them in as they always too close.

Junkyard
    Free Member

They are not heated ones so they are too embarrassed to be seen out?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

LoCo – Member
    Is it the new ‘driving with your fog lights on in the daytime’ ?

All new cars do that now, and you can’t turn them off

Drac

Never had a car that puts the fog lights on during the day.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Never had a car that puts the fog lights on during the day.

Sorry if you missed my dry sarcasm 😉

Have you not seen the DLRs on all the new cars? More dazzle than fog lights ever were.

Drac

I have LED ones on mine, seen them on others yes and no they don’t dazzle. Just like motorbike ones really unless either of them are setup wrong.

MrNutt
    Free Member

It makes you go faster, less drag innt

kimbers

see it quite often commuting in london , usually school run mums in big chelsea tractors

im tempted to fold em out for em when i cycle past but not sure if it is a electrical or manual thing?

also noticed 2 cars in a row today in blazing sunshine had their fog lights on?

avdave2

I’m usually too busy eating my cereal to notice what other drivers are doing.

ell_tell
    Free Member

On a very loosely related note, am I the only person to notice Peugeots hooning around with there brake lights permanently on?

What’s going on there?

druidh
    Free Member

Surely with mirrors folded in you can’t see any small brick walls behind you.

geoffj

On a very loosely related note, am I the only person to notice Peugeots hooning around with there brake lights permanently on?
    What’s going on there?

Known fault on some models apparently – you have to jiggle a connection/switch under the drivers seat to fix it.
    My mate had a 207 that was always doing it.

tron
    Free Member

Peugeot had a batch of dodgy brake light switches. And indicator stalks.

The indicator stalks cost about 250 quid a pop when I enquired…

jam-bo

See plenty on dartmoor. There are usually the ones who think their car is 3ft wider than it actually is and you have to slow to walking pace for cattle grids.

ell_tell
    Free Member

As faults go I imagine thats one of the more serious then. You’ll never know when they’re braking!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Cars with mirrors folded in’ is closed to new replies.