Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Carrying tools etc…
  • geologist
    Free Member

For the last few years I’ve been using a camelbak to carry water and tools and so on. I now want to simplify things and lighten the load on my local rides, plus have a better option for xc races. I’m thinking of velcroing an inner tube to the bottom of my saddle , having a frame mounted pump and stashing my multitool in my pocket.
    What do you lot do ? Are their any other / better solutions ?
    Thanks

amedias
    Free Member

This comes up a lot/regularly, I hate to be the one that says ‘do a search’ but you’ll get lots of good info if you can find some of the old threads (hint, Google search is better thna the STW search!)

Basically it always seems to come down to personal preferences and a mix of

– jersey pockets
    – back packs
    – hip packs
    – under-seat packs
    – other on bike storage
    – Specialized SWAT clothing or equivalent (fancy bibshorts with pockets)
    – leave it at home and cross your fingers

I use a mix of the above depending on ride location and length, but for short races I go fairly minimal, tube strapped to bike with CO2 cartridge.

geologist
    Free Member

Thanks, I do the leave it all at home and cross your fingers very occasionally, and it does feel liberating 🙂

grannyjone
    Free Member

I have a bag behind the saddle for Inner tube, multitool and some food. But it makes an annoying noise on the rough stuff. Everything in the bag just rattles around like mad. Has anyone managed to silence this ??

Oh yes but I’d do anything to avoid a camelback if I can help it. The only reason I use a Camelkback is if the weather is rough and its hard to predict how many layers of clothing I need to carry.

Shorter Rides under 35k are really fun and far more comfy without a camelback and you don’t really need one for that.
    Rides that are more like 40k to 50K I can manage without the Camelback but a stop at a shop is required mid ride to refill on food and drink which can be a pain in the arse.

Junkyard
    Free Member

i use a hip pack but mainly because i have more than one bike so it means if I pick that up I have all I need for the road or the CX bike [ and I commute to work so it has space for the crap i need to take with me]and if I pick up my camelback I have all i need for a MTB ride

One Bike I prefer a saddle pack as I am forgetful and I know its all in there

cheers_drive

I’ve been using The Piggy on bike storage in various prototype forms for the past 12 months. If it fits your bike it has lots of advantages over the other options.
    I’m not impartial in this though as I’m co owner of the company.

somafunk

Pretty much the only thing i carry on local rides in galloway is a water bottle and topeak mini 20 pro tool both of which live in an Apidura handlebar mount food pouch thingy, come to think of it that’s pretty much all i carry for any ride as i have enough stans fluid in the tyres to deal with any punctures and in 15 years of riding tubeless i’ve never slashed a tyre yet. If i need water when i’m out i just fill up from a mountain spring/burn of which there are plenty to choose from in this area.

amedias
    Free Member

Everything in the bag just rattles around like mad. Has anyone managed to silence this ??

Pack it tightly so stuff can’t move, if you still have room fill with a sheet of bubble wrap or bit of packing foam, or an emergency space-blanket scrunched up (either option weighs essentially nothing), they expand nicely to wedge everything in place 😉

If it’s the bag rattling on the mounting rather than stuff moving in the bag then use and old-school toe clip strap round the bag and looped over the saddle rails to cinch it all tight, also adds extra security from the bag coming loose or falling off.

daniel_owen_uk
    Free Member

Everything in the bag just rattles around like mad. Has anyone managed to silence this ??

More flapjack required?

flashinthepan
    Free Member

I don’t like using a Camelbak either.

Unless it’s a long ride it’s a bottle for me with an under-seat pack for spare tube, multi-tool, CO2 inflator etc. Stuff in an old rag / hanky / cake to fill the bag and quieten things down

stevextc
    Free Member

I don’t know what XC races you are doing but I can’t see changing a tube being realistic in terms of position only in finishing?

That being the case mounted waterbottle and multitool in a pocket and food in pockets for actual racing?

For a pump/food/tube/levers etc. I usually use a hip bag (needs to be kept tight though or can catch on saddles)…. but that’s because my rucksack is mostly way too big but gets used when with the kid in winter and carrying spare clothes….

I’m a bit weird about not strapping stuff to my frames though….

Sui
    Free Member

My camelback is like opening mcgyvers tool chest (except for tubes, i never seem to have spare tube when i need one) – anyway i feel naked without a pack on and weirdly exposed..

Yak

Local rides up to 3hrs – tube, pump, tyre levers, tool and chainlink bundled up with charity wristbands*, and in a jersey pocket. Other pockets for phone, anchovies, keys etc and snacks. 1 or 2 bottles on the bike.

XC race – nothing apart from a bottle. If I have a mechanical – it’s all over anyway.

* arrange so tube is against your back so if you fall off, nothing sharp digs in.

monkeyboyjc

Bigger rides or summer (double water bottle) I use a restrap bag on the bike. This carries a spare tube or jacket (dependant on conditions), multi-tool, money, larger pump, tyre leavers, tubeless repair kit, phone and tyre levers.

On shorter (less than 20mile) rides, I have a Lezyne strap on tool roll on the back of the saddle (dropper compatable), this carries tools and money. A pump on the bike. A bottle on the bike and sometimes a fat bike tube the bike too.

I’ve been packless for a year and won’t go back now. I’ve also just bought a bottle cage repositioning thingy so that I can use a two bottle s setup without the restrap bag.

SirHC

I hate riding with a backpack, far too restrictive, plus a rotator cuff injury makes it uncomfortable

For long rides of around 4 hours:

-EMT multitool on specialized zee cage
    -Water bottle
    -Tube strapped to saddle (spesh bandit strap)
    -Co2/levers/other stuff in hip bag, plus litre of water in hip bag bladder.

For xc races, I’d ditch the hip bag and strap the co2 to the bandit strap and look into the samurai sword tubeless plugs for a quick fix to get going again.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Hi,

it is down to personal preferences…

I hate carrying ANYTHING in my jersey’s pockets, so I’m rucksack/under saddle bag person.

Not much of a difference kit wise I’m having with me on each ride. Just depends on which bike, might juggle inner tubes or if weather is particularly bad might take bigger load of spare clothes…

Cheers!
    I.

Northwind

I like that Piggy…

I tried bumbags for a while but tbh I think it’s too compromised, I either travel really light or I carry a bag- tube, tool, co2, link and emergency haribos can go in my saddlepack and bottle in a cage and that’s all I want to put on the bike. And a little food in a pocket but I don’t get how people can ride with stuff bulging in their jersey pockets…

Any more than that and I just use a backpack, I don’t really see a middle option that works well enough, there’s a reason there’s been so many attempts at doing it while camelbaks etc have been basically unchanged for so long. Suppose it depends on you but people always seem to want to hype up the benefits/drawbacks, wearing a backpack’s no hardship and you don’t have to fill it full

ferrals
    Free Member

I ordered a strap from the states here

It works remarkably well in keeping everything secure. I used to use a saddle bag when just riding for a bit more space and the strap for race only but it works so well I rearely use the bag (also got annoywd with rattle). Only problem is if mucky co2 inflator head gets clogged

oikeith

I was in the same boat and when recently looking at new bikes went for a spesh with the SWAT storage. So glad I did, for rides up to 2-3hours: bottle on the bike, chain tool and master link in steerer, multi tool on bottom of cage and then pump, tube, tyre levers, tyre repair kit in SWAT with space for some sweets.

If I am going on longer rides, I chuck on a Camelbak waistbag and soft/pouch 1 litre water bottle and chuck that in there with more food, a mech hanger and spare derailleur cable.

Before for shorter rides I would just tape a tube to my Top Tube and then rely on friends who had camelbaks with all the tools you could ever need in them! When I would ride solo I would forget I had no tools and left the tube taped to the frame! thankfully I am tubeless so havent had any puncture issues in a long time!

I have seen recently that on one are developing a multi tool that goes in the steerer, that looks super cool!

snapperdan
    Free Member

I have one of these – https://www.bigxtop.com/collections/frontpage/products/saddle-roll

It works fine with a dropper and has no zip. Zip up saddle bags always fail in my experience. Mud and grit just destroys the zip. The tool roll design is much better and you can pull it really tight so it doesn’t rattle around.

I carry a decent Topeak multi-tool, CO2 with duct tape wrapped around the canister, tubeless repair kits (dynaplug and some small worms) and a little baggie with quick links, spare mech hanger and zip ties, I also carry a tiny gerber multi tool like this http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/gerber-bear-grylls-compact-tool-p192940

Rarely carry a tube (unless I’m going somewhere really wild) if my tyre is damaged so badly that I can’t fix it with dynaplugs/worms/gorilla tape a tube isn’t going to help. I also use a water bottle.

mattherby
    Free Member

I’ve recently sacked the bag off for most of my rides. I’ve done the tape a tube to the frame on my Reign but decided I wanted a cleaner look.

So I bought this http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/race-face-stash-tank-2017/rp-prod146917

It’s the Race Face tank jersey, it has 3 pockets in the rear which do not flap about and are quite tight to the body. The fit of the vest is proper snug but that helps keep everything tight.

I can fit a tube, tyre levers, pump, snacks, tools with a spare chain link and a mach hanger in the vest easliy. There is also room for 1.5ltr bladder for longer rides if the bottle isnt enough. Car key and phone goes in zipped pockets in my shorts.

Really happy with it so far and there has been no need for a pack yet.

whitestone
    Free Member

Just got a downtube bag from Beerbabe (custom job) – 300x75x75mm: fits a Mountain Mini-Morph pump; inner tube; small bottle of Stans; chain lube; multi-tool; tyre levers; zip ties and a whole lot more. This is for multi-day trips so very much kitchen sink.

Someone does a multi-tool that fits inside a 15mm axle! Can’t remember who though, it was pretty expensive from memory.

zilog6128

My camelback is like opening mcgyvers tool chest

Surely the whole point of Macgyver is that he doesn’t have a tool chest? Maybe just a penknife or something. Show some initiative instead e.g. whittle a 10sp quick link from a tree branch, etc

SirHC

Only problem is if mucky co2 inflator head gets clogged

Wrap co2 and inflator in a party balloon or small plastic bag.

superleggero
    Free Member

You can also fit small emergency items inside the handlebar: zip ties, chain links, small section of chain, spare gear cable (folded), tyre boots and patches. All taped to a long zip tie or a bit of string that you pull out of the end of the bar. Works best with lock on grips which remove easily for access.

For the rest, multi tool in shorts pocket (Topeak Hexus which incorporates a chain tool and tyre levers), small pump on frame with clips that attach to the bottle cage, and spare tube taped under the saddle

jonba
    Free Member

For short races on small circuits I risk it and go with just a bottle. My race is over if I have a problem in that I won’t be near the frnot anymore. I’d usually leave a bag at the start finish line so I can walk back, repair things and then finish the ride.

For stuff a bit longer I went bottle and saddlebag with gas. Arkel saddle bag has been good for me. Takes everything and is very secure.

For endurance stuff I go with various size camelbaks depending on feed stations, support and weather. Summmer, good support and feeds you don’t need much. Winter single lap and remote I take more.

I’ve got a light weight octane which compresses to fit the contents or one that pretty much takes a bladder and a few other odds and ends for when it is warm. I prefer to put things on the bike as it keeps me cool and stops back ache. The trick with all these options is to minimse what you are carrying. Realistically are you going to puncture on tubeless. It is rare so I carry a super light tube to get me to safety. A small multitool for the same reason. Broken chain, loose bolt but anything more and you are lookign at limping home rather than racing. Measure out water. I ride with 1.5L max on the road, race with couple of 500ml bottles so don’t carry much more on the mtb even though the bladder takes 3!

All worth considering why you are racing. Short stuff I go for a position, occasionally winning local stuff. Big stuff I tend to go in for a (good) finish. In the K100 it was about survival so I packed accordingly rather than going “go big or go home”.

monkeyboyjc

Oh and quick link taped to a gear cable, and zip ties carried in the hollow crank axel.
    (always forget about those as they are always on the bikes).

Andy-R

I have seen recently that on one are developing a multi tool that goes in the steerer, that looks super cool!

One Up

prawny

I’m tempted by one of these but I’d still need to put my phone somewhere, and after putting a large dent in the back of a tatty phone I’m not sure I want to risk putting in my pocket.

I’m rocking the bum bag currently, but would be happy to get the sharp things away from my kidneys if possible.

monkeyboyjc

Super expensive too, and you need to internally thread the top of your steerer to preloaded your headset bearing. – The (also super expensive) crank axel and fork axel options seem to be a better bet.

But over with the cheapest option being about £75, I think I’d stick with my current setup as id need to carry other stuff anyway. Now, if I won the lottery that would be a different matter.

lovewookie

for races I used to just stuff a multitool in my jersey pocket and not be serious enough to carry a spare tube. I don’t trust pockets to be secure enough for phones and keys.

In winter, when I need to cary some spare clothing for weather changes, and somewhere to put my helmet light battery, I go with a small camelbak, though I still use bottles for shorter rides.

Summer I can rely on a bit more stable weather and no light requirements, I use my old faithful bumbag I’ve had for the last 20 years. spare tube, pump, paclite waterproof, multi tool and some shrapnel for chocolate if I get caught out. The waterproof acts as a bit of a cusion agains tools poking in my back.

Considering getting an updated version with individual pockets, but not got round to it yet.

DrP

Little known medical fact: You can fit a surprising amount of tools and food stashed up your rectum.
    All the Enduro boyz are doing it.

DrP

Northwind

I didn’t explore anyone’s rectums, but racing the EWS was an eyeopener for just how many of the pros racing with bumbags etc were reliant on sponging off other people, I was basically a water bowser and tool lending library for the pros 😀

TBH I’d feel like a total dick if I refused anyone help, but they’re deciding to come out with insufficient kit and getting the advantage of that, while I’m carrying more stuff and sharing the advantage of that… So maybe I should have told them all to get to ****…

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

It’s only now I am venturing further away from home, heading out towards Marwell Zoo, that I’m starting to think about emergency spares. Yesterday’s ride had a silly amount of gear stashed into my jersey’s rear pockets (~750ml water; Nexus tablet; mobile; multi-tool; keys; Pakajak), whenever I stood off the saddle I felt this crazy amount of weight bouncing around on my lower back!

Starting to think I should bring my old Cyclaire Plus pump and its case out of retirement, to carry a spare tube and the multi-tool at least, just in case.

That just leaves getting a bottle cage ordered as a priority, given I’m easily using ~750ml over 60-90min rides, I’m thinking one of those Topeak adjustable cages (like the one I had on better half’s bike when it was nicked in Bitterne precinct a few years ago).

hels
    Free Member

Yeah Northwind – that’s the spirit of Enduro ! You should get Chris Ball to have that printed on a t-shirt.

jam-bo

raceface ripstrip to bulky? to obvious?

get the new raceface rimpack…

cheers_drive

[url=https://flic.kr/p/TGGmnA]Piggy @ Swinley[/url] by Rob Johnson, on Flickr

29er Tube
    Mid size multi tool
    CO2
    Levers

amedias
    Free Member

I don’t know what XC races you are doing but I can’t see changing a tube being realistic in terms of position only in finishing?

I’d rather replace the tube and finish the ride having lost some places (you’ll still be racing, just different people) than give up, might as well it’s still a bike ride after all… the alternative is sitting in the car park in a grump 🙂

geologist
    Free Member

Thanks everyone, food for thought.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Carrying tools etc…’ is closed to new replies.