Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Carron valley or glen tress?
  • Stoogz
    Free Member

The question as above is simple. which one gives the best fast flowing ride.

Got some time on my hands this weekend and not been out on the bike for 2/3 weeks now.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

GT or any of the popular routes near stirling knocks CV into a cocked hat.

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

Longer downs at tress…more protection when the rain comes… Cafe..goto tress!

Stoogz
    Free Member

Glen tress it is 😀

Haribo
    Free Member

as nice as CV is imho it has no flow to it…and given how short a lap is unless you are v local to it i would ride elsewhere – north third or dumyat for example

Stoogz
    Free Member

No idea where that is bud. Been to glen tress a few times but never been to CV. Only started MTB about 6 months ago.

DickBarton

If only those 2…neither.

Innerleithen if a trail centre is a must…climb up to Minch Moor is great.

Where do you live? Stirling has some amazing stuff…drop me a mail for more info if you want.

seosamh77
    Free Member

if you’ve been to GT, CV will be a dissapointment to you, if you want to try something different head to one of the other stanes, kirroughtree/ mabie etc..

Or head out mugdock way if you want something closer to glasgow, it was in fine muddy form yesteday:).

Haribo
    Free Member

but not the minch climb if the weather was like on sunday! i couldnt see my mate 10ft in front of me at the top.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Bit of a David and Golliath comparison but if you like riding bikes I’m sure you’d enjoy CV. The reason CV can be a better proposition than some of the local offerings right now is that it wont be axle deep in mud 😉

North Third’s circa 5 miles from Carron Valley so you could easily do both if you are reasonably fit. Cambusbarron can be tacked on too but best to take someone with local knowledge if you want to get the best of it. Dumyat’s a wee out and back hill a few miles East of Bridge of Allan, the trail is obvious enough on the ground – quite technical in places .

Most folk seem to rate CV’s Runway as fast and flowing and they have recently reworked the top trail (Eas Dubh)to introduce more flow (or less challenge / greater homogenisation depending on which side of the fence you sit 😉

Stoogz
    Free Member

yeah inner was good but it’s a very long trek before you get to do the downhill stuff.

I’m based central scotland. Smack bang in the middle of glasgow and edinburgh next to the M8.

radoggair
    Free Member

Smack bang in the middle of glasgow and edinburgh next to the M8.

where bouts you stay Stoogz? I’m Wishaw area

Northwind

I don’t think I’ll be going to CV again, maybe in a couple of years but the Runway aside there was less memorable riding in a full lap than there is in some of the individual sections at GT. It’s not terrible, it’s just hopelessly outgunned. Sorry CV.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>I don’t think I’ll be going to CV again, maybe in a couple of years<

Is that because you think it will have been expanded by then?

From the description I presume the OP is somewhere around Livy. Not Trail Centre swoopiness admittedly but the Pentlands are worth exploring if he / she is that close.

StirlingCrispin

Meickle Binn.
    An easy ride from the CV carpark and an absolute giggle.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Most folk seem to rate CV’s Runway as fast and flowing

…but if you can’t deal with the admittedly small doubles I think you’ll find it anything but fast and flowing, unless they’ve been removed or added chicken runs since I went 18 months ago. That would be a shame, since they were the best bit. It was the first time I ever felt like I was comfortable and “correctly” clearing doubles in succession. Great fun, but like the others I’d go elsewhere if there was a choice

epicsteve
    Free Member

I rode CV a couple of times last year and enjoyed it (the Runway is good fun) although it is rather short. That suited me for something different to my usual Pentlands rides when my fitness was particularily bad, and CV also has the benefit of being quiet. I’ve only ridden it on the weekend and I think only encountered others on the trails once (although I tend to start reasonably early). It’s a bit of a shame it’s not been developed further as it’s easy to see it could be extended into a good trail centre as there is plenty of space.

I haven’t ridden at GT for a few years but used to go frequently – it is very good indeedn but can get pretty busy at the weekend.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Now now Crispin you’re getting too old skool for this type of thread 😉

stilltortoise – the Runway has been reworked in the last 3 months and there are now chicken runs.

As has been said, there is plenty of good stuff in and around CV to combine with the manmade stuff if you’re prepared to make the effort.

epicsteve
    Free Member

…but if you can’t deal with the admittedly small doubles I think you’ll find it anything but fast and flowing, unless they’ve been removed or added chicken runs since I went 18 months ago.

I’m a proper mincer when it comes to jumps etc. and didn’t see anything on the Runway that couldn’t be ridden over no problem – in fact that’s mostly what I did the first time I was on it.

bruneep
    ChristoGinger
    Free Member

Hi raddog air,

Im from motherwell – me n the chaps have built some trails in cambusnethan/mauldsie woods, you found them yet?

Chris

Northwind

Heather Bash – Member

“Is that because you think it will have been expanded by then?”

Nah… I’m hopeful some of this rebuilding attention might include going back and adding some interest to Eas Dubh though, that’d make it a bit more worthwhile. If I lived more locally I’d probably be up there from time to time- I like flat corners etc so those parts did appeal, berms make me lazy.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Plan was to reverse Eas Dubh with the (red) climb continuing on up and over Tomtain followed by a monster descent down the Tak Ma Doon side to hook back in to the top of Runway. The entire descent would have been on a par with Golspie. Cannonball would have been extended from the top up to meet Eas Dubh thus giving a much longer blue descent. IIRC Pete Laing suggested something similar with Cannonball but that’s patently been knocked on the head in favour of taming the trail as is.

The 4 Cooncils and FCS have reformed a partnership of sorts (with SNH) and are currently undertaking a strategic review / 10 year action plan for the Campsies. Plus ca change…

FCS recently bought a large chunk of land (from Clachan of Campsie up to Earls Seat)effectively controlling most of the tops so despite the various Councils and local communities ambitions for the area it will be FCS that continues to dicate what happens up there. I foresee the entire area being given over to windfarms ;-(

radoggair
    Free Member

Hi raddog air,

Im from motherwell – me n the chaps have built some trails in cambusnethan/mauldsie woods, you found them yet?

Chris

I think so, there’s some with north shore, wee see-saws etc just up from the clyde? There short but quite fun esp the one with the 4 foot drop onto the dodgy looking wooden berm!!
    Maybe i know you already?? What do you ride?

ChristoGinger
    Free Member

hi,rad dog, all the north shore stuff and thats all ours except for the dodgy drop bit and the wee seesaw and jumps on that bit of track. We’ve just added to the north shore stuffwith more seesaws. Also theres another 2 or three downhills further up on that side of the road aswell. ride trek ex8 with gold bits on:)

also incambusnethan woods theres 3 downhills on that side too.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Carron valley or glen tress?’ is closed to new replies.