Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Carraddice Super C -v- Alpkit Koala -v- Apidura Saddle Pack?
  • Rustychain
    Free Member

I’m looking for something to use on MTB adventures (think Cambrian Way) and also light touring.

I like the idea of the Carradice (waterproof, quick release, British). My concern is whether it can handle the MTB side of things, and it’s probably the heaviest option.

The Koala looks great, but isn’t waterpoof, so I’d need a dry bag.

The Apidura is meant to be waterproof, but they recommend a dry bag as a precaution. It’s also quite expensive.

Any thoughts/experiences appreciated. Or maybe I’m overlooking a credible alternative?

Cheers

trail_rat
    Free Member

i wouldnt go for any of em ….

ive got a carradice – its pish offroad , bounces about – even with a rack under it. On road i wouldnt be without it – i like it.

the alpkit swings about.

the apidura to be fair ive no experiance with but my money would go to beth at wildcat for a rear harness and an alpkit drybag to slot in.

steezysix
    Free Member

Ive got the smaller apidura bag – very nice, well made and stable, but I don’t think it’s fully waterproof. The fabric is, but the stitching isn’t taped so in really heavy rain it might leak. I use a tapered airlock in mine, that way I can also leave it in the bike rather than unstrapping it when I stop. No experience with the Alpkit or carradice.

dovebiker

Traditional saddle bags like the Carradice just aren’t secure enough IMO. In terms of bike-packing type bags there’s really designed to carry minimum weight e.g. sleeping bag, clothing as they do bounce about a fair bit. I have an Apidura and whilst in theory there’s enough clearance, you do need at least 3-4″ clearance as it slips down and can rub the tyre.
    Another alternative is Orlieb large seatpack – fully watertight but does need an extra strap as the plastic clip isn’t 100% reliable.
    For heavier stuff, nothing beats a frame bag.

disco_stu
    Free Member

I’ve got a Carradice Nelson with SQR rack mount, I’ve been using it commuting for about 4 years and it’s been pretty good. It probably needs reproofing by now but the contents have only gotten damp once or twice, it you want 100% waterproof a drybag might be a good idea
    I’ve used it for a few MTB adventures as well but I’ve no idea how it compares to other types of bags.

Rustychain
    Free Member

Sorry, I should have been more specific.

I was thinking of the SQR version on the Super C series (Slim or Tour).

It sounds like the SQR version is more stable and might be ok for MTB duties?

whitestone
    Free Member

The SQR only clamps to the seat post which is fine for road but off-road it can twist round so the bag is at an angle. I have had this happen when carrying a reasonable load and leaning the bike over on-road to get on the bike There’s no attachment to the back of the saddle rails to stop this happening though you could rig something up yourself even if it makes putting the bag on/taking it off more awkward.

prawny

I’ve got an SQR Slim on my commuter, it is rock solid. I’ve only had it a couple of weeks, but I have no doubt it’d handle some light off road just fine.

Tour might be better with the external pockets, I had the slim so I can slip files in for the odd times I have to bring work home.

– edit – to stop the above spinning I’ve got a wrap of innertube on the post, solid as a solid thing.

Clobber
    Free Member

Have you looked at the Porcelain Rocket Mr Fusion V2?

I’ve been thinking about getting one of these as I just can’t get my wildcat tiger to stay stable enough. That shouldn’t be a reflection on the wildcat stuff as I like it and is most likely due to ineptitude of packing…

whitestone
    Free Member

If you pack heavy stuff in to a seat harness/bag system you need to have it as close as possible to the seat post to reduce the momentum. I’ve the Wildcat Tiger and don’t notice it swinging – possible that it is but there isn’t any form of delayed “nudge” if/as the bag moves around. I might have a couple of Kg in there as a maximum, usually clothing.

scotroutes

Revelate Viscacha

Andy

I have an SQR Tour – fantastic, bombproof bit of kit for commuting. Very heavy in comparison to soft bags like the koala though and for that reason I’d not use off road.

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

i have the apidura saddle bag – only used it a couple of times (on and off road) and pretty pleased.
    Once on you forget its there and doesn’t seem to move around at all when off-road etc, so i’d recommend.
    Not an easy pack to reach things at the bottom of as it’s long rather than wide, but not really an issue.

shuhockey
    Free Member

definitely agree with Trail_rat. Wildcat harness and tapered 13l dry bag from alpkit. once fitted you can just clip the bag in and out, and works out lighter as on the others you will need a dry bag inside as well as they are not waterproof.

nedrapier

I have an SQR Tour – fantastic, bombproof bit of kit for commuting. Very heavy in comparison to soft bags like the koala though and for that reason I’d not use off road.

and eventually you’ll have to replace the block. a lot quicker if you use it off road with any weight in it – quite a lot of leverage through the plastic.

Mine last 5 years, plastic cracked riding rooty tracks home from a CX race in the dark with a few beers in the bag.

Beers, not for the first time, the cause of, and the solution(ish!) to the problem.

nedrapier

also have the Wildcat Tiger. I’d buy it again. Second the tapered drybag idea too – a lot easier to pack it + contents firmly and securely into the Tiger compared to doing it with a standard drybag. Especially ff you’ve got heavy, firm objects to organise e.g. thermarest, beer.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Carraddice Super C -v- Alpkit Koala -v- Apidura Saddle Pack?’ is closed to new replies.