Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Carn Ban Mor – ok in the wet?
  • stevious

Evening chaps.

Just wondering whether riding carn ban mor needs a bit of dryness to withstand the onslaught of bike tyres or whether it’d be ok to ride after the current wetness we’ve had? Happy to cope with some mud but not too keen on destroying the trail.

Suggestions for something a bit more weatherproof if that’s off the cards?

cynic-al
    Free Member

I blame TJ

druidh
    Free Member

You’ll be fine. The trail is so rocky that it’ll make little difference.

swavis

I thought riding up on the plateau was frowned upon 😉

It’ll be fine in the wet. Enjoy!! 8)

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

It’ll be great – fill yer boots.

Druidh/Swavis How long do you reckon the route takes? I can’t remember!. We did it in november 2009, was 10 deg colder at the summit than it was at the bottom, and it was in the minus at the bottom!.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Wot druidh said – given that the climb is a bulldozed landrover track and the descent is rocky and eroded at the top / built and armoured at the bottom (IIRC)

I think the climb took me 3 hrs or so and the descent 40 mins ish

stevious

Thanks team!

Be warned that the next time you try and do CBM it will be in tatters from all the shredding I plan to do.

jojoA1
    Free Member

Low visibility in cloud for navigating to the start of the descent might be a problem if you’re not au fait with map and compass or don’t use gps. From what I remember it’s pretty featureless up top.

cynic-al
    Free Member

PLEASE don’t skid.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Last time I did this, we crossed the old bridge over the River Feshie, just at the point where you start the climb up to CBM. IIRC, this bridge is now gone, so you need to stick to the east side of the river.

Please someone correct me if wrong.

pixelmix
    Free Member

I agree with Nobeerinthefridge. When I walked there a year or two ago, the bridge had been washed away, so best to ride along the east side, although the river can be quite low in summer, and we had no problem wading across.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’ve only ridden the Carn Ban Mor descent once

We climbed up it

FraserHughes
    Free Member

Aye, bridge wasn’t in existence when we did the Lairig Ghru – Glen Feshie Loop last Autumn.

We forded the river, it wasn’t the first one of the day and we were pretty wet so it didn’t matter but I imagine at the start of your day it would dull!

+1 to Al’s no skidding please!

coogan
    Free Member

Great descent. It goes on and on and on and…

hando
    Free Member

Done it yesterday and the track conditions were fine. Pretty wild at the top though with very poor viz. Went along the east side of Glen Feshie so can’t comment on the bridge situation.

I’d get up quick they’ve started surfacing/armouring the track just before the rocky section ends (or starts depending which way you’re going) they’ve already done a few hundred metres worth and according to a conversation with a guide leading a group of kids on the hill they’re going to be continuing it right to the top. So next time you do it, it could well be a smooth(ish) armoured surface and drainage ditches.

Hopefully not as it was the first time I’d done it and can’t wait to get back.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Carn Ban Mor – ok in the wet?’ is closed to new replies.