• This topic has 19 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Joe.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Caring for a baby bird – please help.
  • sputnik
    Free Member

I found this little thing this morning. Can’t find its nest and don’t want to leave it outside in case his parents are looking for him as we have two cats who could kill it.
    It can fly for short bursts, but not up and only for a bout a meter.
    Wont be long before it can fend for itself , so how do I go about caring for it?
    Can anyone identify it for me and tell me what it eats, and what I can feed it.
    Thanks in advance 🙂

alfabus
    Free Member

feed it millet and oats, drown it in armagnac, roast and eat it whole.

philconsequence
    Free Member

is it a baby robin?

20minutes at gas mark 6, dip in chocolate. sorted.

ski
    Free Member

Sorry cannot help with any of your questions, just wanted to say…

How cute 😉

Guessing – baby Goldfinch?

dan1980
    Free Member

From the RSPB website:

What should I do with a baby bird that has been abandoned by its parents?
    Probably nothing. A young bird alone on the ground has not necessarily been abandoned. The young of many birds will fledge after they grow feathers, but before they are able to fly.

They spend a day or two on the ground before their feather development is complete. It is really best not to interfere. The parents will be close by and come to feed the bird as soon as it is safe.

If the bird is in a vulnerable position it will do no harm to move it into shelter but not too far away as the parents will then be unable to find it. Touching a bird will not make the parents abandon it.

Watch carefully – if the parents don’t return and the youngster has definitely been abandoned then please email Wildlife Enquiries using the address on this page for further advice.

Not sure what you could feed it in, bird seed and dried mealworms would probably be a good place to start.

sputnik
    Free Member

Na, too much effort for the amount of meat on it guys 🙂

Unless baby robins change colour , I dont think it is one. Got yellow bits , not red.

GrahamS

Okay – some advice I got after a similar thing last week

First up – I made an improvised cage from an upturned recycling crate placed over some cardboard and newspaper.

Next: Don’t let it get stressed – bird have only got little hearts and you chasing it round the house will freak it out. If it is squawking and stressed then cover the cage with a blanket till it calms down.

You can try placing the cage outside for a while: if its parents are still around then they may be drawn to its crying and you an reunite them (this is really its best hope).

Otherwise you’ll be needing to feed it. We got a tin of high-protein cat/dog food from the vet. It was basically a paste and we fed ours by gently holding it and presented a syringe like a mother bird trying to feed it.

Be aware that baby birds need a LOT of food. If it can’t feed itself then you’ll be needing to feed it every hour or so during daylight.

Don’t forget a little water as well!

derek_starship
    Free Member

It’s a juvenile bluetit.

Put it in a bush – it’s parents will find it.

If the cat gets it – the cat gets it.

GrahamS

dried mealworms would probably be a good place to start.

Yep though you may need to rehydrate them in some water first.

jon1973
    Free Member

Raise it as your own and get it to do your evil bidding once it grows up a bit.

ski
    Free Member

Be aware that baby birds need a LOT of food. If it can’t feed itself then you’ll be needing to feed it every hour or so during daylight.

Very true, was watching a mum feeding one of its little ones this morning, it was not stop for over an hour, taking one seed at a time from my bird feeder, then flying to its baby, who spent the whole hour just screaming for more 😉

philconsequence
    Free Member

Raise it as your own and get it to do your evil bidding once it grows up a bit.

any man who doesn’t follow this advice is a fool.

Dave
    Free Member

It’s a juvenile bluetit.
    Put it in a bush – it’s parents will find it.
    If the cat gets it – the cat gets it.

That.

sputnik
    Free Member

If it was from my garden I would consider releasing it there, but I live in a flat and found the bird near my shed on ground level.

roper
    Free Member

you should still release it though. It is a wild animal and won’t appreciate human contact. It’s parents are probably frantically looking for it too. If you are worried about your cats catching it, keep the cats in for a couple of hours.
    Dry mealworms won’t be enough to sustain a healthy diet.

McHamish
    Free Member

Artificially inseminate it and raise an army of hawk men.

dan1980
    Free Member

dried mealworms would probably be a good place to start.
    Yep though you may need to rehydrate them in some water first.

Whilst appreciating that they aren’t birds, my spiny mice wont touch rehydrated mealworms, but will go nuts over live or the dried versions. They are a bit weird though 🙂

Drac

I go with the should have left it where it was crowd.

sputnik
    Free Member

Update: I released it in my neighbours garden. There are lots of trees and stuff there. I heard the little fella starting to do a ‘help me Im lost’ type of call and thought I heard a similar ‘where are you?’ call from my neighbour’s garden.
    I hope they are re-united now. 🙂

Joe

lol. Enjoy scraping all the feathers, guts and blood off your carpets.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Caring for a baby bird – please help.’ is closed to new replies.