Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • carbon seatpost and moving it up and down
  • brakes
    Free Member

I've got a Specialized Pave carbon seatpost that I'm thinking of putting on a mountain bike – because I'm getting a new frame and don't want to fork out for a new one and this one will fit
    whilst I don't move the seat up and down that much, I might do it every now and then
    will this cause any problems, apart from some cosmetic scratching?
    can I put any special grease on that will reduce this?

radoggair
    Free Member

carbon grease, but then constantly moving it wil cause it to score after time

druidh
    Free Member

You'll need to use carbon paste, but it's really not a good idea to be moving it too much as you'll soon wear off the surface layer.

nickc

Scratches is going to be the big problem really, but it's mostly just cosmetic. Received wisdom says carbon for not moving metal for moving, but I've never had it properly or adequately explained

brakes
    Free Member

druidh, the surface layer of what? the lacquer? surely that'll take a while.
    post might be moved once or twice a ride so not that much really.

juan
    Free Member

Friend has a race face carbon seat post. Moving it up and down. It's ok so far.

druidh
    Free Member

bakes – Member
    druidh, the surface layer of what? the lacquer? surely that'll take a while.

Much will depend on how well the seat tube has been reamed.

Northwind

I've been using a Raceface Next carbon post for ages, constantly moving up and down often while plastered in mud. It looks a bit rough- and it picked up some scratches from a tiny burr in a seattube- but other than the cosmetics it's still absolutely fine. It IS wearing down, just not at a rate that concerns me at all, bike stuff is for using after all.

brakes
    Free Member

yeah, main concern is that it will be shared with my road bike
    so whilst I don't want it to look perfect, I don't want it to look too tatty
    I'll see if there are any Thomsons going on the classifieds

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘carbon seatpost and moving it up and down’ is closed to new replies.