Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • carbon mtb seatpost marks/rub wear?
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

do they get marks/rub colour loss if you are moving them up and down a bit???

both thomson elite and hope eternity ones anodizing is shockingly come away in a very short space of time? do carbon ones stay looking new for longer?

geordiemick00
    Free Member

They don’t seem to be as bad as anodised but my Syntace one on my Cube had some sort of wearing, probably due to the friction paste….

Get a Reverb and never need to get off and do it again?

njee20
    Free Member

If your seat tube is anything but perfectly clean they’ll look awful in no time (far worse than alu posts). It’s also not a great idea as you’re potentially creating stress risers by putting score marks the length of the post.

In essence, if you’re putting your post up and down all the time, carbon isn’t really for you!

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

ok cheers guys – ill leave the carbon route then, not dropping it a massive amount of times to be honest, probably once per ride….though i take it out for storage anyways….hope have offered to look at it, as it shouldnt have worn like that, it looks almost silver in places 🙁 dont know what they will do, whether they will re-anodize it for me or what really?

stumpy01

My posts always seem to do this. I take it out to put the bike in the car & over time it really wears off the finish & makes them look naff.

Just bought a new KCNC Scandium post & it’s got that machined ribbing on it like the Thomson posts.
    I cleaned the seat tube really well, lightly sanded off the edges of the clamp slit (to remove any possible burrs) before fitting the post and backed the QR bolt right off when I slid the new seat post in.
    It still looks like it’s gonna get marked & knackered within a month or two.
    Might just get a silver post next time.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

same here, cleaned really really reallly well, i even emailed hope when i got it for tips on how to keep it black….i cleaned the seat tube out after every ride, i smeard a tiny amount of grease on to keep it smooth…..

its gutting really, its obvious it will take some abuse so the design should be a lot more hard wearing….my hope one is only a month old and it now looks about 2 years old….ill see what they come back with when i post it in to them…

the only thing i can think of doing would be put some helitape on it, but i dont know if it would be too thick then to get in the seat tube?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘carbon mtb seatpost marks/rub wear?’ is closed to new replies.