Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Carbon, knives, spoons, snowboarding….
  • Stoner
    Free Member

Have any of the snowboarders in here considered making their own binding straps?

I have some old (but sound) Drake bindings (all straps bolt on rather than have keyed slots) with knackered straps. I was considering making a custom strap out of carbon/wire that would be attached to both bolt holes on one side, but would have only one ratchet strap on the other (ankle) – if the carbon was moulded to my boot shape it wouldnt really need much padding at all and a stiffer strap could be made.

Imagine a Flow front binding in size and shape, but “rigid” and detachable on one side….

madness? too cynic-al to work?
    I cant seem to find decent replacement straps online either

nedrapier

I’d stop faffing with half-way houses. Sounds like what you really want is these:

Stoner
    Free Member

hmmm, shexy.

dashed
    Free Member

But shirley nowt to do with snowboarding?? They look like a ski touring boot… No good for snowboarding 🙄

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

*Comment withheld*

nedrapier

Stoner, I’m a bit sceptical about whether it’s a goer. I think the boot flexes more than you’d think while you’re riding, and the plate would end up cutting in, creating pressure points, and putting angular forces on the strap attachments where they meet the carbon plate, rather than always being pulled along their length as on a normal soft strap.

Plenty of people using AT boots for snowboarding (splitboarding) Maybe not them though as they’re massively expensive and a bit too compromised for all out lightness.

Stoner
    Free Member

hmmm.

Ned, know any good sources of bolt on straps? Drake (and northwave) website is crapola.

The base plate, frame and high rise of the binding are in good nick so I dont really want to junk them.

Dino
    Free Member

Do people still snowboard ? 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Do people still snowboard ?

Yes. Middle aged dads.

😉

Stoner
    Free Member

anymore of that CFH and I shall come over there and shred your gnar.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

You’ll be to busy sitting in the middle of the piste fumbling with your bindings to catch up. 🙂

ThePinkster

😯 Jeezus, those boots look like something Bowie would have worn in ’73. 😯

nedrapier

I’d see if you can get some Burton straps to fit. I’m sure you’ve got the bodging skillz to made any necessary adjustments.

Plenty rag on Burton for all sorts of stuff, but the straps on their binders have always been great. You’ll be better off if you need emergency replacements in a resort, too.

But obviously you always carry spare straps and ladders in your pack, right? Says he who’s had to get down with a hairy string ankle strap.

cynic-al
    Free Member

It might work but the CF is bound to see some flexing I’d have thought.

I just bought some flows for my trip next week 😎

Stoner
    Free Member

I just bought some flows for my trip next week

Keepin’ it M&S, bro.

leffeboy

I just bought some flows for my trip next week

Ooo, whatyaget Mr Al? I got some after a recommendation from someone on here who said that they may not be rated as the best but they rock when you are riding with skiers as you can just hop off a lift and get going quickly (yes I know you youngsters can reach down and do regular binding quickly but I can’t). The recommendation was top and I found them as good as my regular bindings

cynic-al
    Free Member

Cheapest I could find on ebay Rikster! SH, £60 posted, odd red lightning design on the heel-part.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I was young when I started snowboarding. Now I’m too old to learn something new!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Carbon, knives, spoons, snowboarding….’ is closed to new replies.