Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Carbon frames – how do people ride/treat them?
  • nickdavies

Since going back from a full suss to a C456, my riding’s improved no end, i’m jumping and riding a lot faster & more confidently. Always feel there’s a niggle in my head that the frame could break on me – however that’s never there when i’m riding it!

Question is, do others take it any easier with carbon frames over and above metal frames? Can’t help but feel a little bothered by the fact i’m hurtling down the side of a mountain clipped to a piece of tupperware… especially when going at speed or landing (smallish) jumps on those seatstays.

stumpy01

It’s not a piece of tupperware though, is it??

Just ride it.

I rode Llandegla last Friday, MBR @ CyB on Sat and then a mix of trails back at CyB on Sunday. I have a carbon Stumpjumper FSR. It didn’t break.

My tyres left the ground, stones hit the downtube and I even fell off. It didn’t break.

It has also been ridden on natural trails, been ridden at the Twentyfour12, Dusk ’til Dawn and other events….it didn’t break.

I treat it no differently to the alu version i had previously. I treat it no differently to my steel Inbred….

Aircraft and racing cars are made from carbon fibre….military equipment is made from carbon fibre…..

If it breaks, it probably would have broken if it had been made from steel or aluminum.

ElectricRussell
    Free Member

I ride mine the same I ride any bike, faster and harder than my ability level! If it breaks, it breaks, chances are it would of done if it was steel or alum.

amedias
    Free Member

I treat mine the same as any other frame, which means I ride it, abuse it, drop it, don’t clean it, scrape it, bash it, crash it and periodically check to make sure it hasn’t snapped.

So far (touch wood) the only frames I have snapped have been Alu (numerous) and Steel (one), but there is a worrying crack on one of the seatstays of my carbon bike, but I’m sure it’s just the top clear coat, i’ll check back on it in a few weeks or so and see if it’s gotten any bigger… 😀

br
    Free Member

I ride mine the same I ride any bike, faster and harder than my ability level! If it breaks, it breaks, chances are it would of done if it was steel or alum.

Carbon and Aluminium have the same kinda fatigue/breakage problems, so if your FS was an Alu one – I wouldn’t worry any more/less 🙂

antares
    Free Member
    andyl
    Free Member

Carbon and Aluminium have the same kinda fatigue/breakage problems

No they don’t. A bike example is using the flex in carbon fibre seat stays on full suspension bikes instead of having a pivot as you would on an aluminium frame.

I am more cautious when it comes to storing, transporting and handling the bike. Partly as I know the surface is more likely to get scratched and partly as I don’t want a silly accident to result in me cracking the frame by dropping it on something or crushing it as loading cases that have not been considered can be a big problem for composites. eg your top tube will be designed for the expected loads, plus some allowance for impact cases etc but clamping it in a work stand could easily wreck it if you are not careful.

But out riding I am more confident of the carbon being able to survive what it’s going through and I ride it harder than my aluminium frame. Currently sporting a sore shin from a rock that hit my leg as I was enjoying riding my c456 for the first time in months.

boxxer7
    Free Member

So far I’ve treated my Stumpy Evo exactly the same as my old mega. I had a big old rock flick up at Afan Sunday I’m pretty sure it would have dented my old frame. Tbh if it breaks it breaks but I’m not expecting it.

Kryton57

I accidentally rubbed my carbon top tube with baby oil yesterday :-/

boxxer7
    Free Member

Oooh er

daveh
    Free Member

C456s are as tough as old boots!

bikebob

@stumpy. We rode Marin trail on fri and CYB on sat and sun. Great weekend.
    What’s llangdegla like? I’ve not done it yet. Which if any part of CYB is it like. is it suitable for a hard tail? I know Cody is good for both, but in my opinion def best on the full Suss.
    Thanks for any advice.

stumpy01

Llandegla is less rocky in general than CyB. It’s fairly smooth & flowy, although we were sticking to mainly red sections as we were with a fair few first timers.
    There were some rock sections, but they weren’t the norm.

Llandegla is fine on a hardtail. It’s probably a bit less clattery than CyB as it’s smoother.
    It’s a good trail centre, worth a visit I reckon.

For what it is worth, I didn’t like the Marin when I did it. Found it quite boring, although there were a few good sections…

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

Penmachno just around the corner is way more interesting imo. I’ve been meaning to scratch that itch for a while now.

Ride the river.

bikebob

Cheers guys, thanks for the trail info. I will give both a go on HT. cheers

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Carbon frames – how do people ride/treat them?’ is closed to new replies.