Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • carbon cross forks: much better than steel?
  • fontmoss
    Free Member

Need to finally finish my cross bike build and think ill prob just get some cheap steel forks because I’m not sure how much ill like the cross thang and because, well they’re cheap.

Are carbon jobs much nicer though? lighter I know (and more expensive) but much better?

was thinking of possibly easton 70s (not the lightest carbon forks) or maybe some uncle johns, although the colour wont match 🙁

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I’d go carbon, for all the reasons why most road bikes run carbon – light, stiff, comfy.

You can pick up carbon forks s/hand for around £50-£70 which are in good nick. I sold my Sintema Muddy full carbon CX forks on ebay a while back for about £50 I think.

ski
    Free Member

Much? I would say no imho..

Used both Uncle Johns Carbon jobbies and the standard planet-x steel version on my CX, the carbon ones are amazing stiff and have loads of tyre clearance, but I cannot tell the difference between carbon and steel on the rough stuff tbh.

Might be more noticeable/comfortable on road though, which I have not tried to be fair?

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Yes to carbon but there not as good a Ti forks

fontmoss
    Free Member

watched a few carbon cross forks on ebay but most have gone for silly money and only seem to come up occasionally. Plus cos it s a whopping 155mm headtube (only a smegging 56cm frame) i need a decent steerer length. I guess if didnt like the cross bike could always sell them frame and fork.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘carbon cross forks: much better than steel?’ is closed to new replies.