Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Carbon Bars
  • All-On-Black
    Free Member

Looking at buying new bars, but is it possible to cut down carbon bars to the correct length? Or will it cost a bomb to get the right blade?

Or ,if it is expensive, could a bike shop do it?

Cheers

pinches
    Free Member

just use a blade with a high TPI (teeth per inch). i have used a junior hacksaw before as the teeth are much finer, with no problems.

br
    Free Member

why not just buy them the 'right' width?

All-On-Black
    Free Member

well, i've measured my current bars, but they are 500mm.. i can't find any bars close to that. i may have measured them wrong though, i did use a broken ruler! 🙄

Dirtynap
    Free Member

500mm is tiny. But ya you can cut them down with something as simple as a junior hacksaw, with a sheet metal cutting blade. Just make sure to support either side of the cut, so as not to pull the fibres out.

smudge52
    Free Member

Did mine with a junior hacksaw, no problems. 500mm is very short tho, id double check that before taking a blade to a nice new set of bars!

iamsporticus
    Free Member

I dont see a problem

Plenty of people cut carbon steerers on road bikes – me included

Just do it outside or in a well ventilated room

foxyrider
    Free Member

Junior hack saw – gently cut it – done it myself and no probs – I put a bit of oil on it to reduce friction and bind the carbon dust 🙂

stratobiker
    Free Member

But you can't just hacksaw through copper pipe stylee can you?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Anyone recommend any nice carbon OS bars around 680mm and 20mm rise max?

smudge52
    Free Member

A cutting guide would make it neater but if you go steady you can make do without, abit of oil/lubrication is a good call though.

Northwind

Racingralph, Truvastiv Noir Team are very good in my experience, bang on your 680mm and 20mm rise. Though I didn't pay the £80 everyone seems to want for them now. Still they've dealt fine with a year of me being a knobber, which is probably quite a good test. Very happy with them, considering another set for bike #2.

Oh, here we go, £60 from Bikeoutlet.

http://www.bikeoutlet.co.uk/products/Truvativ_Noir_Team_Handle_Bars_680mm_Carbon_Fibre-540-59.html

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Carbon Bars’ is closed to new replies.