Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Carbon Bars
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

Trying to save a little weight, I fitted some RSP Ego DH carbon bars to my Codeine a few months ago

All went well until on saturday, having qualified for sunday’s Mega-Amateur race I rode the Mega quali course again just for the hell of it.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fyYaIk2jaU[/video]

Ouch.

Walked and scooted back to the lift down to Alpe. Luckily had spare bars with me, race on sunday was a right laugh despite not getting onto the glacier.

tomhoward

I rode the Mega quali course again just for the hell of it.

1 last run eh?

dirksdiggler
    Free Member

Ham fisted spannering? Broke at the shifter clamp?
    Good that you didn’t impale yourself and spontaneously combust 😉

poah
    Free Member

Invest in a torque wrench and gripper paste if you’re getting another carbon bar. Stick to Alu and forget about weight savings

fooman

Second RSP carbon bar fail I’ve read about on here this year.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I did use a torque wrench when I assembled it all. And was very lucky I didn’t end up in more of a mess.

Back with aluminium now and they’re staying.

funkmasterp

Shit, I’ve got those bars 😯
    I’m going to start wearing a gum shield and face mask

funkmasterp

Double post

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Scary. I have a friend who had a RF SIXC bar do exactly the same – he’s anal about everything torqued correctly too. It snapped clean off in a berm just before a jump line. It could have been horrific.

Ironically, I do still run a set of carbon bars myself (Enve’s which are pretty tough!) but I do have moments of wondering if its a good idea or not.

For the weight difference, I probably won’t run carbon again. Snapping a bar is about as scary as it gets.

chakaping
    Free Member

So your chubby tyres coped fine but your bar snapped? Life’s not fair, eh? At least it wasn’t in the race.

Used to see a few of the more XC style bars snap like that, but this is more worrying.

The year I did the Mega I had countless crashes but my Easton Havoc Carbons were unscathed, even when I ended up in a helicopter.

molgrips
    Free Member

Amazed this still happens tbh.

mattyfez

Does anyone know how much leverage stress a bar is put under, just out of curiosity really.. If you were to land front heavy for example.

edge85

Ouch… I’ve just fitted a pair of these bars so would love to know if it was damage or did they just snap at the shifter clamp?

mattyfez

Wonder if the layup is thinner towards the end of the bars, you expect it to go at the stem clamp otherwise surely? It’s not like shifters need to be very tight..?

deadkenny
    Free Member

Alloy bars snap also.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Rare that its a catastrophic failure though..

kayak23

Was just about to recommend these bars 😀

I’ve got two pairs both on the hardtail and the gnarduro rig.

Hope I don’t die 😐

Kahurangi

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/will-i-die-rsp-ego-dh-carbon-bar

Nearly.

I guess it’s not very helpful to suggest that in future you don’t bother torquing your brake lever clamps. Just do them up enough to stop them slipping when in use.

Double bonus is that when they slip in a crash you can haul them back round to a better position and get moving again.

Kahurangi

Wonder if the layup is thinner towards the end of the bars

I’m sure some of the better manufacturers reinforce around the clamping area but generally, the bar will see less bending moment further away from the stem.

BillOddie

Chromag OSX for the win!

funkmasterp

Anybody want to buy a set of RSP carbon bars? Three months old, one careful owner, cut down to 750mm.

Anybody?

Anybody?

Northwind

For whatever it’s worth I have 2 sets of those, one of which ont he big bike is pretty beaten up and well used. Now I’m pretty ugly so I’m not <that> worried about my face but I trust them (they repalced a set of Enves!)

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

In fairness to these bars it ‘looked’ like your crash and bikes subsequent impact into that rocky terrain caused them to snap….not the other way round?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

it ‘looked’ like your crash and bikes subsequent impact into that rocky terrain caused them to snap.

Nah, on the original unedited video you can make out easily that they snap at the bottom of the drop-off as it Gs out, causing subsequent falling off.

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

@ir_bandito can you show us that more juicy video then as the one you’ve posted shows them still in tact as your well into your OTB .

dvatcmark
    Free Member

My on one knuckleball bars snapped in exactly the same place, but just on a flat bit of bridleway. I came away with broken ribs though as I had a pretty big over the bars moment followed by a hard landing.

I’ve never over tightened the brakes either and they hadn’t suffered any previous crash damage, so can only assume it was poor manufacture and/or materials

tomhoward

Nah, on the original unedited video you can make out easily that they snap at the bottom of the drop-off as it Gs out, causing subsequent falling off.

What did you edit out? Why?

scotroutes

I recently bought and fitted some SixCs. They had a minimum width mark (i.e. don’t cut past this mark). That suggests they’re reinforced in an area round the controls but get thinner again. Possible that other bars are similarly built but folk are cutting too much off?

steve_b77
    Free Member

Rigorous carbon bar testing in action.

[video]https://youtu.be/OcSqTlkvkj0[/video]

poah
    Free Member

that doesn’t test any damage done to the bar with ham fisted shifter tightening.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

that doesn’t test any damage done to the bar with ham fisted shifter tightening

Yes, and nor should it.

dirkpitt74

I’ve got a set of these for my new HT build.
    Would be good to see the unedited video.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Carbon Bars’ is closed to new replies.