Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 109 total)
  • Caravanners, vote with your wallets (bike related)
  • wwaswas

singletrack just tweeted this [some nsfw language]

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlHQXLI8iiM[/video]

Which is a vehicle belonging to this company;

http://www.forestofdeancaravans.co.uk/about.html

Personally, I’m going to contact them and explain why I’d never spend money with them whilst they employ people who behave like that.

info@forestofdeancaravans.co.uk if you want to contact them

nbt

posted on the caravan club forum too

luffy105
    Free Member

I wonder if Swift and Bailey caravans would be happy knowing that this company use their caravans as potential weapons?

I don’t think they would like that brand promotion.

Ben_H

Disgusting behaviour. It’s the equivalent of waving a sword near a person’s head as they walk down the street.

There must be a way of punishing this in a civilised society?

ski99

Wwaswas,
    change the title of your video to include “Forest of Dean Caravans”. I’m sure with a bit of support it’ll make it fairly high up on a Google search soon enough. Maybe add their name to the title of this thread as well?

As the driver of the truck must have an HGV license, it could be worth getting the plod involved? As a “professional” driver it’s his livelehood
    at risk as well as a battering by the herds of MTB’ers who frequent the FoD!

Edit – just realised it’s not yours… it’s early.

Deveron53
    Free Member

I’d regard that as attempted murder!

nikk
    Free Member

Is that forestofdeancaravans.co.uk unsafe dangerous driving? The place that you get caravans near the Forest Of Dean?

IMHO that is a criminally prosecutable maneuver. That is a blatant ‘punishment pass’ that needs to be prosecuted. A vehicle of that size, driving that close, is mentally unsound driving. I am hugely angry just watching that video. That driver needs locked up and never let drive any vehicle ever again. Totally ridiculous, unnecessary, life threatening, ignorant, selfish behavior.

asterix
    Free Member

Contact.Centre@gloucestershire.pnn.police.uk

pictonroad

WOW> That must have been a proper bum clencher moment. Forest of dean caravans may be the premier new or used caravan supplier in Wales or England but forestofdeancaravans.co.uk need to have a serious word with their drivers.

wwaswas

I’ve not had a reply from Forest of Dean Caravans yet.

I’ve spent more than £20,000 on caravans in the past 10 years. Plus all the awnings, water carriers, electrics etc you need to use them.

Currently have a trailer tent but still spend a fair amount on accesories each year.

None of it will be spent there.

(note: if you’re trying to mention them for google purposes use the name of the company in natural text rather than putting links or the url in every time – it’ll get treated like link farmign and be penalised if there’s too many on a page).

nickjb
    Free Member

Are they on Facebook/Twitter?

wwaswas

I couldn’t find them with a cursory search.

gwaelod
    Free Member

Forest of Dean caravans in the Forest of Dean? I’ve cycled past there quite a few times

Mark

Tagged

pictonroad

no, but they do have a google + review page…. 😉

nickjb
    Free Member
    wwaswas

think this is from the bloke who posted the video;

Just spoke with Forest Of Dean Caravans transport manager. He’s ‘horrified’, will be taking ‘disciplinary action’ & co-operating with police

nikk
    Free Member

Good.

I’d give them a chance to make thing right before bombing their online presence (videos / google+ etc) with negative comments. The owners of this caravan company may come through and do the right thing/s, in which case a trail of negative feedback is unnecessary and unfair.

Stoner
    Free Member

WW – that comments not from the same user as the original video poster. Probably just some one else who direct the forest of dean caravans transport manager to the video.

eskay

Crazy. Surely a criminal offence was committed there. If the rider had been clipped he could have been killed or seriously injured. Thank god it was caught on camera. Hopefully he will lose his job and hgv licence.

D0NK

‘kiiiiinell, scary shit.

Thank god it was caught on camera. Hopefully he will lose his job and hgv licence.

not been here long?

nikk
    Free Member

Controversy will kick in here as well.

There is a clearly marked shared use cycle lane on the pavement on the left – you can see the blue sign at the junction.

I think the driver was using the punishment pass to ‘tell’ the cyclist to use the shared use path rather than the road.

Looks like quite a new cycle path as well, here is the junction on Google Maps, the shared use pavement is not there on that older picture.

nickjb
    Free Member

Absolutely, not willing to use a poorly laid and dangerous cycle path should be punishable by death

wwaswas

There is a clearly marked shared use cycle lane on the pavement on the left – you can see the blue sign at the junction

this has been picked up on twitter too.

Thing is it’s not the law to ride on the cycle path.

‘punishment passes’ might be considered dangerous driving and is thus illegal.

eskay

not been here long?

I think the hgv licensing body are pretty strict, wouldn’t expect the cops to do anything but the company and hgv bods may.

nikk
    Free Member

There is a clearly marked shared use cycle lane on the pavement on the left – you can see the blue sign at the junction

this has been picked up on twitter too.

Thing is it’s not the law to ride on the cycle path.

‘punishment passes’ might be considered dangerous driving and is thus illegal.

I totally agree, that in no way mitigates what that driver did.

However, on that busy main road, I’d personally be on the pavement, shared use or not. I hate having to cycle in main road traffic, mainly because of psychopathic drivers like the one in the video, and also just plain ignorant careless ones who also do close passes (old folk are bad for this I find).

fathomer

Proper squeaky bum time that!

There maybe a cycle path but he doesn’t have to use it and even if the driver thinks he should it doesn’t give him reason to nearly kill him. Proper tool!

rogermoore

Jeez that was so close, so lucky that he didn’t get hit.

What I’m struggling with is why it says on purpose? I don’t have sound – does he beep or something?

RM.

D0NK

eskay currently sounds like the company may be taking it seriously (or they may just be paying lipservice to prevent a social media PR screwup) but I’m cynical the legal system or the “HGV bods” will do anything meaningful.

D0NK

What I’m struggling with is why it says on purpose?

wide road with no oncoming when he passed, no reason to be so close and that was a lot closer than your average no ***ing clue what safe passing distance is driving that you see everyday and yeah (just watched again with sound) he beeped throughout the overtake.

nbt

yes, there’s a massive blast from the horn that starts as the lorry approaches

ski99

A 3 second horn blast before he drives alongside. Def’ not a SMIDSY-type scenario!

dantsw13

Rogermore – the lorry sounds its horn 2-3 secs before the pass and continues as it passes.

zbonty

Class-A tosspot driving certainly.
    Didn’t the clip say it was a year old though? Drivers probably already doing 7 minutes jail time for death by dangerous driving.

wwaswas

Didn’t the clip say it was a year old though?

😳

I saw the 5th of March, it had been tweeted by all and sundry today and I just assumed it was current.

[edit] but it was posted to youtube yesterday. odd.

nickjb
    Free Member

Text in the video says 6/3/2014. The 2013 could be a typo

wwaswas

yes, I think so.

*rekindles righteous anger*

toxicsoks
    Free Member

I don’t care how old it is or whether there is a shared cycle path – that trucker was bang out of order. I blame Putin.

D0NK

Text in the video says 6/3/2104. The 2013 could be a typo

lot of it about 😉

Rich
    Free Member

I think they may have just put the wrong date on Youtube, as the date on the actual filming says 05/03/2014.

Edit: As already stated as I posted. 😛

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 109 total)

The topic ‘Caravanners, vote with your wallets (bike related)’ is closed to new replies.