Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Car Tyres – Extra Load
  • ScottChegg
    Free Member

I got caught out with a puncture on my car last Thursday, near Harrogate.

I was very close to a tyre chain in the town centre so popped in to let them sort it. Flat tyre was ruined, so replacement required. The other side was getting low so agreed to have 2 new fronts on – can’t hurt I thought.

Looking a bit closer over the weekend, I’ve noticed that the new ones are not reinforced (Extra Load XL) like the existing and remaining tyres are.

Is this a major drop of the cod by the tyre place? Is this sufficent an issue that I should take it back and get replacements? Or is it not enough of a deal to make a fuss?

molgrips
    Free Member

Depends if you need the load capacity or not (which you probably don’t). It may or may not mean the sidewalls are stiffer.

If they replaced both on the same axle I can’t imagine any possible issue.

Marge
    Free Member

what car (tyre size) is it?
    What is in the car handbook for tyre size?

pictonroad

what car? Don’t worry about the wording, you want the load rating number to be high enough for the car :

There’s a table on here that shows it all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire_code

ScottChegg
    Free Member

So I need to do the axle weights to know whether it’s an issue or not?

The handbook is clear – they should be extra load.

dai21t
    Free Member

The load rating is also indicated by numbers, my van has to have a minimum of 101, think my old galaxy was 97, may be wrong there though. Just have a look on the tyre sidewall.

molgrips
    Free Member

Interesting:

XL: eXtra Load; a tire that allows a higher inflation pressure than a Standard Load tire, which increases the tire’s maximum load

So XL simply means higher pressure ratings.

dai21t
    Free Member

Your car should fail its mot if the load ratings on the tyre are below the ones specified for it. Only really a concern normally on people carriers, 4x4s etc

wobbliscott
    Free Member

The load rating is a number. My SMax is 98 as opposed to 93 which is what you’d get on a normal car/hatchback. The tyres are £30 – £50 more for the pleasure too. Apparently the sidewalls are reinforced.

andyl
    Free Member

Higher pressure rating as the car inflation pressure is higher due to extra weight/loading etc.

If your car states XL then that is what should be fitted. The problem you have is proving that the tyres that came off were XL as they will have disposed of them, unless you know for sure they were the same as the ones on the back.

Don’t let them fob you off.

br
    Free Member

Depends if you need the load capacity or not (which you probably don’t).

No it doesn’t. It means fit the right spec tyre.

gordy90lpg
    Free Member

Your car should fail its mot if the load ratings on the tyre are below the ones specified for it. Only really a concern normally on people carriers, 4x4s etc

Not for a class 4 mot test which is private cars , people carriers and light vans , load rating only applies to class 5 and 7

large418
    Free Member

If it’s any help I fitted 101 load rated tyres to my T5 camper and they wore out quite quickly 15000 miles and never really felt great in side winds and over potholes. Have now fitted the correct 103 rated tyres and they feel so much better. I can only conclude that a heavy car with low load rated tyres may be legal but won’t inspire confidence. Get the correct tyres for your car!

porter_jamie

It is a legal requirement (for the manufacturer) to have a tyre label on the car somewhere usually the fuel flap. The load rating will be on this. If it is wrong then it’s a no brainer the tyre shop got it wrong.

nealglover
    Free Member

The problem you have is proving that the tyres that came off were XL as they will have disposed of them

That’s not a problem at all.

If they have fitted tyres that are below the manufacturers spec, they will have to change them.

Regardless of what came off the car.

PePPeR

What car is is it, and what load rating are the new tyres?

If you provide those details we should be able to work out if your OK or not.

porter_jamie

seriously, just go and look on the tyre label. (i used to be a wheel and tyre engineer for a major oem.) that will tell you what is homologated for that vehicle. this is how the police would check.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Car Tyres – Extra Load’ is closed to new replies.