Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Car Tyres
  • swoosh
    Free Member

How much is a decent price to pay for a quality tyre? I’m not wanting a budget tyre as i do a fair few miles on varied types of roads so want something thats grippy but also wont wear out too quickly, if its quiet then all the better really. Goodyear NCT5 for £73 ok or same price for Dunlop SP Sport 01?

or alternatively, tell me where is good for cheap tyres and what tyres to look for.

thank you

S

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

kumho are good,and last a long time. i paid 75 each fitted.

Bolt

What size are you after?

I have 4 mitchelin energy’s for sale 185/70/14 that I bought for my car just before I changed jobs and got a company car!

mrmo
    Free Member

got a pair of Conti Premium contacts for my car, 15 65 195 i think they were £110 a pair fitted. They seem to work.

That was through E-tyres and a company discount.

smiffkin

E tyres are really good….and pretty good value. I reckon its best to find their website (just google e tyres) and call them rather than order on line as they can offer alternatives that aren’t always on line.

jam-bo

kumho’s i’ve got on at the moment seem pretty good and £115 for two fitted. that 205/60r15’s

petrieboy

Had Kumho’s in the past and seem to wear well. currently on Falken ZE912’s – 318 quid for a full set of 225/40/18 from Event Tyres – mobile fitter so fitted at your leisure. well recommended

Pieface

I got some Lassa’s, sold as ‘mid range’ at £48 each for a Focus. They’re ‘performance’ but no idea how good they are. A Bridgestone owned company.

scuttler

I’d recommend Michelin tyres. They cost a bit more but they’ll last longer and they perform extremely well. Check out blackcircles.com and hunt around for discount codes prior to ordering. With them you stick in your postcode and it’ll give you a list of fitters in your area. You pick one, book a slot and pay Black Circles and off you go with a book or newspaper and get your tyres fitted. It’s a piece of pi$$.

Alternatively if you’re feeling a bit cheeky get a price from blackcircles and then call your local tyre place and get them to beat the price.

Marge
    Free Member

I got some Lassa’s, sold as ‘mid range’ at £48 each for a Focus. They’re ‘performance’ but no idea how good they are. A Bridgestone owned company

`

Not strictly true – Lassa are built in factory shared with a Bridgestone / Turkish company joint venture. Lassa has no direct link to Bridgestone.

How much is a decent price to pay for a quality tyre is an awesomely vague question. 🙂 Like asking how much you should pay for a bike without even saying what type of bike….

As I expect you know your tyre size check online at something like blackcircles.com or mytyres.co.uk. As long as you choose a decent brand you shouldn’t go too far wrong. Mich, BS, Goodyear, Dunlop, Conti or as an alternative Vredestein are making some good tyres these days as are Hankook…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Second e-tyres. Always use them.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Just about every fitter I’ve spoken to say Michelin’s are overpriced, not very good tyres…

Try all the online shops etyres, blackcirles plus many more the prices always vary between them all.

steveh

I tend to get Michelins for my car, energy ones from preference as they wear well and last forever (40k all round on my last set) at the slight expense of grip.

I had some of those dunlops on a car and they were appalling lasted 7k miles and had very little grip in the process somehow. Avoid!

Del

all i’d say is ‘don’t buy the cheapest’. any specific recommendations relating to grip or feel are very subjective at best, and don’t take into account pressures, type/weight of car, driving style, colour of your granny’s socks or anything.

iPed
    Free Member

2nd vote for Falken ZEIK-912

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m4b747s15p0

or if you car is more on the sporty side then their FX452 may be better

Get fiendly with a local garage – I usually get all four fitted + balanced
    for a tenner + beer

Falken are sold as a ‘budget’ brand in the UK, the tyres are made alongside Goodyear and Dunlop tyres – in the rest of Europe they are considered much more of a premium brand

More info on type of car and size required would be of value!

swoosh
    Free Member

the car is a mk 2 focus zetec tdci hatchback so 205/55/16 V.

will keep an eye out for falken

Marge
    Free Member

The Falken recommendation is slightly amusing for me (sorry)

Tyre Test

If you look at this link (German tyre test) which is actually the corrrect size for your car the ONLY tire of the 18 tested to recieve the worst rating of ‘not recommendable’ is the Falken… (and the test includes some chinese trash too!)

iPed
    Free Member

Simply giving my recomendation on 2 tyres I have been very happy with in the past…

neither of which are the tyre your link reviews!!

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Falken/ZE912.htm
    http://www.tyretest.com/pkw_sommerreifen/falken_ohtsu/ziex_ze_912/index.html

Doesn’t imply the immenent flaming death carnage you do?

Speshpaul

I’ve run Avon ZZ3’s in 205/55/16 on front wheel drive fords and have always been very pleased with them. (£55 ea approx 2 years ago.)
    Currenty running ZZ3’s in 18’s, again very please. £68 a corner IIRC. And have some strange words on them “Made in England”, don’t know what thats all about;-)

molgrips
    Free Member

Steveh, how’d you get on with those Energy tyres? Did they make much impact on MPG? Are they older ones or newer ones? As I believe they’ve changed not long back.

davidrussell
    Free Member

Michelin PE2’s on my 182 and Michelin Enegry on my last clio. Can’t fault Michelin for all round driving performance TBH. A lot of people on the Clio sites rate the Falkens highly too, horses for courses I guess.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Car Tyres’ is closed to new replies.