• This topic has 12 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by hora.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • car rental problem abroad – quick answer appreciated please
  • sadexpunk

one of our party in spain has rented a car from RecordGo at malaga airport. it keeps cutting out, sometimes it wont start at all and then starts 5 minutes later, its been a nightmare. today it cut out on a steep mountain road in the middle of nowhere and he had to ‘reverse bump start’ it going backwards round a bend. scary stuff.

hes rang them up to tell them but theyre not being very helpful. they say if they send someone to fix/swap it, and it starts (which is possible, probable even, as it starts most times), then they will charge him.
    either that or he returns it to their premises (we’re an hour away and plenty of scope for disaster to happen if it cuts out in a tunnel or the like) which we also dont think is fair.

what are his options? personally i think the best bet is to tell them its here waiting to be recovered, they either charge him or dont charge him, but if they charge him he claims back from mastercard.

anyone give any advice here please?

thanks a lot

the00
    Free Member

Call them out, and make sure it can’t start. Doesn’t have to be the same problem, just a problem that they can’t pin on you.

sadexpunk

on first read of that i thought genius, of course. then when i thought about it, i thought if they come, find ‘the problem’ and then fix it, hes still in the same situation.

thanks tho 🙂

nwmlarge
    Free Member

check the battery terminals are tight.

one at a time

scuttler
    sadexpunk

check the battery terminals are tight.

will do, just for extra info for the mechanics, when you turn the key to first station all the instrument lights come on, but it just doesnt strike up on turning to ignition.

latest news is theyll send another car, (which should be fun as theres only me thats found this place so far after extensive google mapping and streetview :-), and he’ll have to hope he doesnt get charged.

thanks a lot

jambalaya
    Free Member

I was about to say just bite the bullet and drive it back, you should get a bit of a refund too

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

anyone give any advice here please?

Next time book using a reputable company.

trail_rat
    Free Member

set it on fire

say it was an electrical fault.

* im not being serious- for the hard of thinking.

sadexpunk

Next time book using a reputable company.

my thoughts exactly. believe it or not id advised him to use malagacar.com, as i did. he thought he’d done that, printed it off and saw recordgo on the paperwork *shrugs shoulders*.

all i can think of is theres also a malagacar (not dot com) and he may have gone through those instead…..

anyways, im off to meet em shortly to direct em up here so hopefully itll have a happy ending.

thanks a lot for your advice

taxi25
    Free Member

I’d drive it back. Maybe you shouldn’t have to, but it would make the problem go away and your on holiday.

johndoh
    Free Member

Surely if he has told them it is an intermittent problem then they can’t hold him liable if it does start?

hora
    Free Member

Fuel pump or even more basically..someone misfueled it and/or now the filter or system isn’t running clear. Does it smoke abit?

Talk to his credit card company ASAP and explain the situation ASAP. I’ve just comeback from Majorca and experienced a hire car company trying it on at the airport 2hours before my flight. In my situation I can imagine they do this alot to rushed/stressed and tired travellers.

In your situation he might find a sizeable charge on his card over the next two weeks for damage done/incurred/misfuel etc etc. If he’s genuinely not done anything to the car he needs to call his CC provider. I had a car with a faulty sensor, the next car had spongy, fading brakes. I kept my Decorum but was firm as I found out the brakes fade badly on a mountain road.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘car rental problem abroad – quick answer appreciated please’ is closed to new replies.