Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Car insurance claim experts – bump
  • glasgowdan
    Free Member

Can I just ask if anyone knows what the outcome of this situation is likely to be, and what I should do please?

I was driving up to a stop at a T Junction. Cars to my right indicating left and slowing down, to turn onto the road I was waiting on. Car on the left indicating right to also turn onto my road. I pulled out as the car to the left had stopped to give way, the car on the right had slowed while indicating to turn so I thought it was safe.

The car to my right then changed his mind and drove straight ahead and bumped my van, low speed, no damage to my van but some bodywork damage to his front left bumper.

The car that was to my left turning onto the road stopped as a witness and said she also saw the other guy indicating ready to turn.

There are no other junctions in the area. I swapped details, and have a feeling the guy is going to claim through my insurance.

How will an insurance company see this? What should I do just now? Call my insurers and tell them? If I am found not at fault, will future premiums still be increased?

Never had to do this before so if anyone can help it’d be appreciated thanks.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

As far as i can tell, you pulled out over a give way (or stop) line into the path of an indecisive driver who indicated, slowed and then went straight on?

If that is the case, it’s your fault.

Just because they are indicating doesn’t mean they *have* to turn.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Ok, do I need to phone my insurance company about this? Not sure, given I am not making a claim.

breadcrumb

The other two cars had right of way over you. It sounds like you didn’t give way at the junction.

A claim against you will push your premium up, how much I don’t know.

Edit: even non fault claims seem to increase premiums.

johndoh
    Free Member

As above I am afraid. You should have waited until you were sure it was safe to start your manoeuvre.

jeffl

Yep give way line, their right of way. Should never pull out in front of someone indicating at a T junction, unless they’re so far back that you have time, or they’ve committed to the corner and are going round it.

jeffl

Your insurance company will contact you if the third party makes a claim to ask for confirmation/validation it was your vehicle.

Gary_M
    Free Member

This happened to me many years ago, claim was 50/50. Some on here may argue that that isn’t possible but speaking from experience that’s how it went for me.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

This happened to me many years ago, claim was 50/50. Some on here may argue that that isn’t possible but speaking from experience that’s how it went for me.

That’s a very slim chance based on having a witness saying that the other driver indicated. BUT, not really the legal position.

nickjb
    Free Member

50/50 or knock for knock seems the most likely as that is the easy option for the insurers. With both your premiums going up.

captmorgan
    Free Member

You were involved in an accident irrespective of fault, you need to apprise your insurer of this.

Cougar

The only reliable information an indicator tells you is that the bulb is working. You should always wait to see if someone is actually turning for exactly this reason. It’s your fault I’m afraid.

You might get away with 50:50 but you should count yourself lucky if you do.

no damage to my van

No visible damage to the van. Might be worth getting it checked out just in case?

I swapped details, and have a feeling the guy is going to claim through my insurance.

It would seem a likely option to me. You’ve swapped details – ask him? You don’t really want to be in a position where he reports it and you don’t.

Gary_M
    Free Member

The only reliable information an indicator tells you is that the bulb is working. You should always wait to see if someone is actually turning for exactly this reason.

Slips into the top 3 of most condescending posts for 2018. Is the OP 8 years old, don’t treat him like he is

captmorgan
    Free Member

What are the other two?

Nico
    Free Member

Slips into the top 3 of most condescending posts for 2018. Is the OP 8 years old, don’t treat him like he is

Also incorrect. It tells you that the indicator has been activated.

I’m surprised that the law says the mind-changer is in the right. I’ll mend my ways.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

It’s a busy junction at commuting time. If you waited for all the indicating cars to start their turn before you pull out you’d be there several minutes and the tailback would be horrendous.

Called insurance to log the details. Other driver due to phone to see if we can sort it

sbob
    Free Member

Gary_M – Member

Still touchy about pulling out on someone then? 😆

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

The only reliable information an indicator tells you is that the bulb is working

It actually only tells you the bulb is working intermittently.

granny_ring

As above it will go down as your fault OP as you were pulling out of a side road even if the car that was indicating left was driving like a plum.

legend
    Free Member

£5 on top of Boghead Rd

Gary_M
    Free Member

Still touchy about pulling out on someone then?

No, it was about 20 years ago.

As above it will go down as your fault OP as you were pulling out of a side road even if the car that was indicating left was driving like a plum.

As above, may not be the case.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

legend – Member
    £5 on top of Boghead Rd

POSTED 11 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

Yep. No idea why this junction renders people unable to drive!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Car insurance claim experts – bump’ is closed to new replies.