Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Car hire for a trip driving from the UK to the Alps?
  • mtbtomo
    Free Member

Six of us are off to the Alps in the summer. None of us have a people carrier or suitable 6 seater vehicle, so at the moment its two cars or a mixture of car and flights.

Is it possible to hire a vehicle in the UK and drive it to the Alps?

Someoone I work with has suggested it is possible – you just need some paper work from the hire company so you don’t get turned away at the port.

Can anyone recommend a hire company that will do this? Do Avis / Hertz / Rentacar or would I be best looking for a smaller independent hire company?

spooky_b329

When I was looking at van hire for Europe, I had more luck with the smaller independent car hire firms than the big chains.

finners

It is possible. But for 6 people it will be a bit difficult. Many companys do larger people carriers / crew cab vans, but most dont allow this size vehicle abroad. Ive hired a Transporter and a Galaxy the passed 3 years for a eurotrip / climbing holiday. Arnold Clark ahave a category for Transporters, Vitos and Frafics that would probably be your best bet. I also know that National have a good few Trafics in their fleet just now. As for paper work all you need is your passport / ID, drivers licence per driver and the printed hire document you will be eailed by the hire company. As long as you can get a suitable sized vehicle its a piece of p*ss. Just try avoid as many toll booths as possible 😀 if you have any questions regards the hire, drop me an email and i will see if i can help….

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Car hire for a trip driving from the UK to the Alps?’ is closed to new replies.