Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Car advice
  • JCornford

My knowledge of cars is pretty limited, I know the makes and models and have a general understanding of how they work etc, but when things get really technical it's a mystery.

After getting a knocking in first gear I took it to the garage to get it looked at and it turns out that the first main bearing in the gear box has gone, I've got quite a good mechanical mind as I'm sure most cyclists have so understand what they are talking about, but what I was wondering is, when this problem occurs is it normally the first of many problems? Is it time to repair and get rid of the car?

Thanks

James

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

a good mechanical mind as I'm sure most cyclists have

are you new here 😆

JCornford

ha ha ha.

5lab

main bearing gone might be a symptom of vibrations from elsewhere – could be an early sign of DMF failure? otherwise, cars are a lot like bikes. Because you're casette has gone, the chainring might go, but your forks are no more likely to be dead

coffeeking
    Free Member

A bearing can fail at any time in a sense, so it could be something and nothing (although its still a big rebuild cost) but usually something causes it, if not age. Could be oil starvation (box oil levels/pump?) Could be clutch misalignment/damage causing vibration or additional forces. Could be engine main bearing deterioration causing crank motion, causing flywheel motion, causing clutch misalignment etc. I'd want to take advice from people with more knowledge of the specific engine/box before making that decision.

What car/year/milage?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Car advice’ is closed to new replies.