Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Car Accident advise.
  • ironbrucove

Wife had a small knock earlier today, clipped wing mirrors with a bloke in a an Astra on a narrow road. She didn't admit liability but doesn't want to go through insurance as it would do our premium no favours.

He's blaming her and has got a very steep price (£750)for replacing the mirror glass and a scratch on the door.

I'd call it 50/50, what would you say??

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Well, without seeing where it actually happened…

If they only clipped mirrors, then there shouldn't be a scratch on the door should there?

Mirror clipping on narrow roads is normally knock for knock (that's why they all fold in these days) unless of course your wife was way over on his side or was passing a parked car on her side and should have given way.

Any more details of how/where etc?

uplink
    Free Member

You're duty bound to supply him with ins details

I you want to keep it away from that – you may end up having to give in to him.
    I'd just let him go ahead with a claim on your ins & you can refute his claims & counter claim

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

Offer "each side bears own losses".

Its 50 50 without any evidence to support one version over the other.

His estimate could be knocked up by a mate. Seems dear. Whats the breakdown of the estimate, in labour, paint materials, and parts? Someone heres bound to have access to a bodyshop tool like audatex, and will be able to draaw up an estimate based on thatchams times (the insurance standard repair costs).

He might back off if his no claims and driving record are at risk.

nickegg
    Free Member

If one car is stationary then is it still 50/50?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

If one car is stationary then is it still 50/50?

I'd doubt it, you'd have to make some kind of effort to avoid hitting it wouldn't you?

Still frightens the bejesus out of me when it happens though!

ironbrucove

"Its 50 50 without any evidence to support one version over the other."
    Thats what i thought. I'll get more info in a bit. I asked if they could get a second quote from a firm i trust where our firm take all the company cars for the little body work stuff.

"I'd just let him go ahead with a claim on your ins & you can refute his claims & counter claim"
    Thats what I was thinking, let them do it and our insures cough for that quote and it'll all take time.

Is it illegal to drive a car without a drivers side mirror?

Smee
    Free Member

Deny everything. Let the insurance companies sort it out. For this very reason I steer towards cars on narrow singletrack roads – the clue is in the name of that type of road.

Sandwich

Depends on where the car stopped.

project
    Free Member

Well, to have a day or 2 off work to get it repaired, also the cost of a hire car, door and siode of astra to be resprayed, another day,then there could be shock,emotional upset etc,so 750 is cheap.

Dont let the mises have the car again is safer.

uplink
    Free Member

look, just tell the guy you think it was his fault & you want details of his ins
    You then reciprocate

then wait & see what develops

ironbrucove

As I told her, its only plastic and no one got hurt. Insurance is there for things like this. I;m quite happy to play hard ball with them if she is happy to.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Car Accident advise.’ is closed to new replies.