Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Canyon Spectral worth upgrading?
  • andytheadequate
    Free Member

I currently have a 2016 Canyon Spectral that I’m considering upgrading, but I’m not sure if it’s worth the cost.

The things I’m considering swapping are:

2×10 drive train to 1×11 SLX (chain and cassette are probably due to be changed soon anyway). Probably £300 ish.

Fox performance 34 forks. I’m not sure whether to get them serviced and tuned (and possibly pushed) or sell them and buy some new ones. I have some Xfusion forks on my other bike and they feel much better than the Fox ones, although it may just be the fact that I haven’t got them set up right. Probably £160 to get them serviced and pushed, or £550 for the xfusion (minus whatever I get for selling the old ones).

Replace the Fox float evol shock with a different one or get it serviced and tuned. Similar questions to the forks, but won’t cost as much to buy a new one as they’re generally cheaper.

Am I likely to notice a bigger improvement from a new fork and shock or getting the ones I have serviced? I’ve had a look for reviews for the forks I have but can’t seem to find any.

I like the bike and it fits well, but I’ve been toying with the idea of upgrading it or selling it and buying another (probably the new production privee). Buying a new bike seems like a bit of a waste when I’d be mainly doing it for the aesthetics though.

Any input would be useful.

Garry_Lager

Bin it off mate and buy a new bike. None of the things you suggest are meaningful upgrades, but shopping is a civic responsibility.

chestrockwell

No point changing 2x for 1x, it’s not a upgrade. I have 1×11. Also wouldn’t be changing the fork/shock. Service and tweet yes but not worth changing.

andytheadequate
    Free Member

I know 1×11 isn’t an upgrade as such, but I think I have a slight preference for it for the simplicity. It’s a lot of money though so might just put a new cassette and chain on instead.

I’ve only ever had one fork and shock serviced and it did make a huge difference, but that was mainly because the bike was bought second hand and it was a bit knackered.

Leku
    Free Member
    Goldigger
    Free Member

What size and colour frame is your spectral?
    Ali or carbon?

Painey
    Free Member

You don’t really say why you want to change the components or the bike. Put simply, just because an “upgrade” to new parts might on paper make it/them perform better, if it’s not setup properly then it could actually be a step backwards. And an expensive one at that.

chakaping
    Free Member

Definitely worth upgrading if you like the bike and it suits your riding.

For the fork talk to the tuner and see if they can fix your complaints.

What’s the issue with the shock? I have a 2016 Float performance (non-evol) and it’s pretty good, very perky and efficient but obvs not as capable downhill as the CCDB Air on my other bike.

andytheadequate
    Free Member

For the fork, I can’t put my finger on the precise characteristics but I’ve always felt it feels a bit harsh. I have a xfusion on my hardtail and it feels a lot plusher even though I haven’t really messed about with the settings much yet.

The shock feels ok but the cost of a service/time is roughly 40% the cost of a new one that is possibly a better spec.

As they’re due a service soon anyway, I was just wondering whether now would be a good time to upgrade and sell the old ones.

I’m happy with the bike and it fits well so don’t mind investing a bit into it if it will improve the performance.

alpin
    Free Member

Assuming you’ve got 10 speed then a Sun race cassette, new chain and a new chain ring comes in way under 300 nicker.

Doubt you will notice the 11th missing cog.

On the other hand if it is a size Small sell it to me 🙂

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Service the 34’s and fiddle with the settings.

Go to 1×10

Get the rear shock serviced and tuned (on some bikes/some generations of Fox rear shock that can make a big difference to performance). If the one you have can’t be Pushed/tuned get a new-old-stock one that can be, run it until it needs servicing and then get it done.

If money’s no object just buy a new bike….

Goldigger
    Free Member

And if money is no object give me the frame please..

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Canyon Spectral worth upgrading?’ is closed to new replies.