Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • cant decide on a short travel susser
  • jedi

i want a short travel(130 or less) travel frame. what does the hive mind suggest?
    🙂

cheers peeps

bellerophon
    Free Member

probably a hardtail 😉

qwerty
    Free Member

Commencial Meta VIP 4X thingy.

jedi

nah i want to replace the hummer and hang the hummer on my wall. its for coaching beginners/singletrack sessions but also my daughter will use it hence the suss option

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Can’t you test ride the bikes that most of your pupils turn up on 😀

honourablegeorge

TRc? ASR?

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Bandit. Tested one last year. Very nice and sensibly light. Not quite the freight train that the Covert is but a far more nippy climber.

jedi

yeah i like the giant trance

druidh
    Free Member

130 is short travel?

alanf
    Free Member

Anthem X – might not be enough travel for you mind. Great bikes though

jam-bo

that lapierre thingy that nico is riding on the dirt website front page looks quite tidy.

[video]http://vimeo.com/41406684[/video]

but then it with that pilot, anything would look good…

ska-49
    Free Member

These would be on my short list: TRc, Yeti Arc5c, Bandit, Dixon, Dexter, & Camber. Ive tested most of them. They can all take a hammering and are built well.

jedi

i want a lighter option than my bottlerocket

RustyMac

A Cannondale Prophet could suit at a guess or maybe an Orange ST4. Are you wanting new or secondhand?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Ok I’ll say it too, Anthem X 🙂

The rear end certainly feels more than 100mm of travel. Bargains to be had on 2011 ones too.

atlaz
    Free Member

jedi – what about one of the Titus’ from OnOne? Look quite tidy for short travel bikes

jimjam
    Free Member

jam bo

that lapierre thingy that nico is riding on the dirt website front page looks quite tidy.

The new X-FLOW. That is hands down the best bike Lapierre do. And they’ve been pretty quiet about it till now. It’s much better balanced and more fun than a zesty in my opinion and still very capable.

But I still prefer my Ghost AMR – it’s a 120mm bike but I never feel out gunned on it. The geo is perfect for the more aggressive trail rider, super short back end means it corners and manuals amazingly and it uses it’s travel in such a controlled way, and is so stiff it feels way more than what it actually is.

damion
    Free Member

Just scored a Transition Double off ebay for Kasey, surprised at how light it is, oh, don’t know if you’d be able to get a seat post long enough though…

P20

Turner? Not light though.
    I’d go for the Yeti ASR5, but it may be too long for your daughter

GW
    Free Member

Have you thought about going for a “women’s specific design” since it’s gonna be ridden by a girl and her dad who rides like one? 😛

Seriously tho, is it going to work sharing a bike with your daughter? Especially a full sus? Sounds like a major faff with pressures and set-up to me but if you can live with that go for it!
    I’d also recommend an Anthem, a 4st lighter and shorter mate has one built with 120mm rebas and a shor stem and it’s a wee pinner even sagged 60% and bottoming out the whole time under my fat ass. (Actually, that might have had something to do with why it felt so fun 😳 )

honourablegeorge

jedi – Member
    i want a lighter option than my bottlerocket

Transition Double? Dirt are always raving about them as a wee fun play bike

kaesae
    Free Member

Agree with above idea! when riders turn up to get a coaching session just ask them what size their bike is and do they want you to do a free performance evaluation check ❓

3x tail whips 5x drops 6x jumps and assorted manuals backflips and other shit later, hey presto! their bike is checked and you know what to buy!

I like the new style Giant Trance frames, but I love the Trek Fuel EX DRCV frames.

I have mines set up with a 24 38 rings, xt brakes and crank and some reasonably tough components, including some mavic ex325 rimmed wheels and hope bulb (my favourite) hubs.

fadda

No-one suggesting a superlight? (although you might kill it quickly, Tone…) :-/

FuzzyWuzzy

What’s your budget? I’m in a similar situation but probably going to go 29er or 650b just for something a bit different besides the travel/weight

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Transition Spitfire? 127mm, fairly light, will take up to 160mm up front for man trails and can be set up pretty slack or not so slack. Mine is great!

I_Ache
    Free Member

Camber?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Does Orange still make the ST4?

fuzzhead
    Free Member

Gt Distortion? I’ve been eyeing up one of these for when my Blood dies. Seen some of last years models for crazy prices

purser_mark
    Free Member

+1 Camber, fun, cheap and light, Done!

tinman66
    Free Member

Depending on finances I wouldn’t be looking any further than the Blur TRc. I’m fighting off the urges to do something stupid like ordering one myself.

wrecker
    Free Member

I had a go on an anthem for the first time last week and I loved it. What great fun, it has left me looking for cheap ones on eBay. Would compliment my 5spot nicely.

slowrider
    Free Member

santa cruz nickel?

rickon
    Free Member

Anthem is very involving – it’d be an ace bike to razz around your training trails.

What about a Flux?

z1ppy

Ain’t it really annoying when the OP steps away from the computer…

As a 2nd hand choice, C’dale Prophet SL* for single pivot simpicity or a Camber for multi linkage plushness

*uses a 190mm i2i shock instead of the 200mm is the only difference making it a 120mm frame instead of 140mm

Big-Bud
    Free Member

Orange Diva

jedi

lol@gw cheers dood :d

kudos100
    Free Member

Gt Distortion? I’ve been eyeing up one of these for when my Blood dies. Seen some of last years models for crazy prices

This is what i’d go for. Looks like it would be a riot.

freeridenick
    Free Member

Mythic rampant

100mm back end, short stays. can run a 140mm up front…

mucho fun.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’d go for one of those Titus thingies if I was building from scratch or a Bandit if going OTP they’re superb bikes

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘cant decide on a short travel susser’ is closed to new replies.