• This topic has 22 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by DanW.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Cannondale Lefty- Where to buy?
  • DanW
    Free Member

Hi all,

I am seriously considering a Lefty and am wondering where the best place to buy for value/ cheapness is?

Discussions of the merits of a Lefty aside, I think I would be looking for a 2013 Carbon XLR on the basis that:
    – The 2013 should hopefully require a little less TLC than pre-2013. Is this just marketing BS though?
    – I want to save as much weight as possible and the carbon only seems £100 or so more expensive than the alloy and I can’t find any reports of the 2013 having the bearing seating issues of older carbon legged forks
    – XLR purely because there is no 2013 Carbon PBR!

As far as I can see Qwerty seems to be the best place to buy new. Even older forks second hand on ebay seem to be going for similar prices to the new 2013’s from Qwerty!

Are there any hidden gems of a shop I might be missing to try and buy a “cheap” Lefty?

Many thanks in advance, Dan

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Project321
    eBay

ratherbeintobago

Qwerty or Dr Cannondale.

Theoretically any Cannondale dealer should be able to sell you one too.

2013 forks are meant to have self-centring bearings, which mean you don’t need to do a bearing reset every 25h riding or so (which involves taking the top cap off and cycling the fork a few times).

Andy

z1ppy

Might even be worth looking into brand new 2013 bikes that are becoming discounted now as 2014 draw close. Strip the lefty and sell the rest?
    Lefty’s don’t tend to come cheap, though you occasionally hear of bargains on the bay. Patience is your only friend there (be aware these tend to be US bargains, that you’d still have to pay postage/VAT and import duty on)

Can’t comment on your merits, as I’ve not followed new lefty’s.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

All my Lefty’s are from Ebay and one from here. All basically new.

I reset mine once a month, a 5 minute job and cost nowt.

amplebrew

Qwerty are really great to deal with.

They gave me loads of advice when I dealt with them and were quick to answer any questions.

DanW
    Free Member

This seems to reinforce my first impressions that there is no such thing as a “bargain” Lefty 😀

ebay doesn’t seem to save much over a new fork, especially a 2013. Even then 2011 forks seem to sell for around £500!

Stripping a full bike is a decent idea but I think I would be lucky to get a Carbon XLR equipped bike for just over £800 😀

z1ppy

Dan it doesn’t need to be £800 does it? As long as the sale of the rest of the kit means the overall cost is less than £800. Not suggesting this was will be without hassle, but it’s an option to bear in mind.

peteimpreza

You still need to reset the bearings on the new ones, just not as often.

Use code STW10 with Qwerty to a 10% discount.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Think I got lucky a few times when I was after a Lefty.

pete68
    Free Member

There was a 29er one on the classifieds just a couple of days ago.

DanW
    Free Member

it doesn’t need to be £800 does it? As long as the sale of the rest of the kit means the overall cost is less than £800. Not suggesting this was will be without hassle, but it’s an option to bear in mind

I think the cost of the Cannondale full bike coming with a Carbon XLR even on sale will make it hard to save many pennies but I appreciate the suggestion and alternative idea. Likewise unfortunately for second hand bike I could strip a Lefty from. I also have over 100 items of bike parts I am trying to sell and think my wife would kill me if that list increased 😀

Use code STW10 with Qwerty to a 10% discount

If this indeed works then that is bloomin’ amazing! 😀 Shame they have just run out of Carbon XLR’s 😕 Also, I can’t see anywhere to put the code in

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Just email Qwerty about the code. They are super helpful.

They’ve always sorted me out with the hard to find Cannondale bits.

Isn’t that code for STW subscribers ?
    It’s a bit cheeky giving it out to all and sundry after I got a warning and a deletion for posting instructions on how to get a Halfords trade card when you’re not in the trade.

Anyway, Qwerty posts on here and was very helpful when I had problems with my Lefty, so I’d definitely recommend them/him/her.

z1ppy

The code was posted openly on here for (I assume) all and sundry to use, by Lloyd @ Qwerty IIRC
    See here (final post)

My mistake, if it’s something Qwerty are doing independently, that’s OK.
    I thought it was linked to this, http://singletrackworld.com/premierclub/ although Qwerty are not on that list, so it couldn’t be anyway

z1ppy

It was a fair question/concern

squeaky
    Free Member

I got my XLR Carbon from Qwerty Cycles, great to deal with and a good price with the 10% discount code.

sebgt
    Free Member

There is one being sold on the Thetford MTB Racing forum…

DanW
    Free Member

Just a quick update:

After lots of overpriced second hand Leftys on ebay finally two came at once! Can’t wait to see my new Lefty Speed Carbon DLR in the flesh. 😀

If anyone else is looking for a good value Lefty wheelsports-weselberg.de have a new (with warranty) 2011 Lefty Speed PBR Alu in white for ~EUR 550/ £450 (they were open to offers on their ebay and shop online prices).

Can’t wait to get rocking with the Lefty 😀

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

They are ace 8)

amplebrew

That’s great news Dan, you’ll love it 8)

DanW
    Free Member

I should also add that Tony at Thumbprint tuning has a Lefty Carbon DLR SL for sale as a buyer let him down. So in fact I have been searching for a Lefty for ages and three became available at once 😀

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Cannondale Lefty- Where to buy?’ is closed to new replies.