Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Cannock chase current condition.
  • renton
    Free Member

Thinking of heading to Cannock tomorrow and was just wondering if anyone knew what the conditions are down there at the moment ?

Cheers.

jekkyl

Pebbley with a chance of rocks in places.

(the new stegosaurus is mint and a lot more challenging than previously)

twonks

I do it most weekends and it was good last week but it’s had a fair bit of rain since. Drains well so will likely be a reasonably grippy run with the odd puddle.

Depending on how long it is since you’ve done it, the new bit over the first stream thing (after the first section) is quite different.

Always has people stuck in the middle of it as they can’t negotiate the marginally tricky rocks.

Having said that, I tend to find myself doing mostly off shoots of the blue route over the road with good sections of ftd and the monkey thrown in.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Was pretty dry on Sunday. Few puddles on the off piste but better than it’s been for weeks.

renton
    Free Member

Not been for yonks.

Planning on doing ftd and monkey.

prawny

Dusty on Monday morning on the main trails, bit of drizzle this morning should have damped it down but I wouldn’t have thought been enough to make puddles.

If we have no more rain overnight it’s 50/50 whether it will be super grippy or slick sand on polished pebbles.

Agree on the new Steg, ridden it twice about 5 dabs on the first attempt, cleaned it second time but it’s a proper challenge now (on a hardtail anyway), like rocky road at Kirri.

jekkyl

yeah I reckon they’ll likely build a grey escape route round the steg as I reckon all the wobbly ladies and kids that go on the weekend would get stuck and just get in the way!!

renton
    Free Member

Where is the new steg bit BTW ?

prawny

Just after you cross the fire road when you come out of the first twisty section. Used to go over a wooden bridge by the path, now goes over a new bridge a bit further down, which leads into a slightly uphill rock garden.

jekkyl

when was the last time you were there Renton?

renton
    Free Member

Erm… About 2 years ago.

daern
    Free Member

Just after you cross the fire road when you come out of the first twisty section. Used to go over a wooden bridge by the path, now goes over a new bridge a bit further down, which leads into a slightly uphill rock garden.

We were last there at Easter and were still riding the bridge by the path, so it sounds like this is pretty new. Back there in October, so looking forward to it 🙂

middleagedmadness
    Free Member

still got the last section of the dog closed , instead of finishing on fire road, after son of a chain slapper go right instead of straight over and then take immediate left into the trees youll see the opening , then just follow your nose and it brings you along the single track along the side of birches valley road and back to the car park

daern
    Free Member

This the bit with the rollers? Damn, that’s a good bit :-/

middleagedmadness
    Free Member

yes mate , if you take the diversion through the trees you also miss let loose , but it is a mint bit of flowy single track ,a bit rooty and can be slippy ,if you follow the dog you just miss out rock and rollers but end up coming down the fire road at the side of it

daern
    Free Member

OK, thanks. Any idea when it might re-open? Is it weeks or months away?

renton
    Free Member

Cheers all.

Are there any other diversions in place.

Back in 2005 I used ride the chase at least twice a week ask lived in Stafford. We use to park at Milford and ride up the old English way ?? Then bead off into the natural stuff around that side. Am I right in thinking there used to be a natural track called superman or have I made that up??

Is there much off piste stuff about nowadays.

robbo1234biking

Was there last night and it was fine. No problems what so ever.

New stegosaurus is good but I am one of those who got stuck in the middle! Managed to spin out.

middleagedmadness
    Free Member

still loads of it Milton /Brocton side think you mean the Staffordshire way

renton
    Free Member

Heart of England way. Starts at Milton.

rascal
    Free Member

I still have a pleasing film of dust all over my bike from Monday’s ride 🙂
    The new Steg bit was a right bottleneck…naturally being a BH Mon there were LOTS of people out that probably don’t go near these type of trails normally which didn’t help…we all gotta start somewhere though hey 😉
    The very last section – Rock n Rollers – before you get back to the road by the trail centre was closed though and was last time I went which was 3-4 months ago.

middleagedmadness
    Free Member

renton your right and that’s how I get lost over there ,(cant read the yellow signs on the posts), but getting lost does open up new trails just makes it a long day

middleagedmadness
    Free Member

daern chase trails are reckoning another couple of months before the rollers open again (a lot of reshaping )

prawny

The last section will be closed for a while, the rollers are no more and they’re working on a completely new ending. No other diversions at the moment, but I think the berms will be next up for a refresh, they’re a mess.

Not a criticism though, I love the chase, it sees a huge amount of traffic and relies mostly on volunteers so it’s not a surprise that some bits a falling apart. The Monkey is in pretty good shape.

st

The Forestry Commission opened the new Stegasaurus section a few weeks ago.

Rock ‘n Rollers will be closed for a “number” of months (if we’re lucky our volunteers will start on the rebuild in the next 2 months)

daern
    Free Member

Thanks for the update – good to know 🙂

(ps. not pestering about timescales, sadly I don’t live close enough to volunteer, so I’m extremely grateful to the trailbuilders and the time they put in!)

renton
    Free Member

I remember when the original trails opened up above the fishing lakes bit. They were good.

jekkyl

There isn’t any off piste over the chase, whoever told you that was lieing. 😉

prawny

There’s a possibility that that particular trail is still there. Potentially.

That said, even if it was, it’s not as good as what replaced it, but it would be a bit of a change, if it was clear.

Which it probably isn’t. 😉

jekkyl

You will also now need a bank loan to be able to afford the parking at Birches Valley, if you can find a machine that works!

prawny

You can park at my house for £12

daern
    Free Member

It’s only £6, which when you consider that it’s supporting the various facilities (toilets etc.) as well as the trails themselves, it doesn’t seem so expensive to me. Certainly, it’s below my “can’t be arsed” threshold for riding in from outside…

prawny

Is it really £6 now? That’s waaaaaaaaaay above the standard FC car park costs. That said, the car park is generally full to bursting all summer at weekends so obviously it’s not too much.

I wonder how much the FC give to the trails, seeing as that’s the bulk of the traffic? I think the trails get/need more maintenance than any of the others I’ve been too, which is probably why they’re only £2.50. Afan is a quid, all day.

rocketman
    Free Member

From Chase Trails facebook:
    Gisburn £3
    Forest of Dean £7
    Thetford Forest £11.50
    Sherwood Pines £6
    Delamere £6
    Dalby £8
    Grizedale £8
    Hamsterley £6 or £10 on BHs
    Kielder £5

jekkyl

Marquis drive £ZERO
    😛

daern
    Free Member

Was at Haldon Forest last week and that was £7, IIRC. Honestly, it’s about fair and I have no objections to “paying my way” here.

bigbloke
    Free Member

Thetford is £2.50 at Brandon Country Park next to the trails. Highlodge parking is ridiculous at 11.50

renton
    Free Member

So I’ve just got back from the Chase. Really enjoyed it. There are some places on the trail that isn’t very good with 800mm bars lol.

Cleaned lunge buster which I’m made up with.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1161475732/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-US&v=1504193395

daern
    Free Member

So I’ve just got back from the Chase. Really enjoyed it. There are some places on the trail that isn’t very good with 800mm bars lol.

Heh, that’ll be the bit just after “lung buster” then – I can’t get through there either 🙂

middleagedmadness
    Free Member

Renton how did you find the new rock gardens ,not too technical but enough to make you pick a decent line

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Cannock chase current condition.’ is closed to new replies.