Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • can you 'wild' camp in Scotland?
  • alpin
    Free Member

a friend of a friend want to take a trip to Scotchland this year and is wondering if you are allowed to camp all over or if you have to spend the night in an official campsite?

cheers

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

Can do whatever the hell you want within reason.

AJ
    Free Member

No your not allowed north of the border with clothes on and it's still really cold so i'd just leave it if i was you.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cynic-al
    Free Member

If you ask and behave you should be ok. Cops move folk on from spots where there have problems I think.

bruneep

Only if you have a permit, these can be obtained from me at a reduced rate of £35.99 for this summer. Send PP gift to my email and I'll forward it onto to you.

Thanks

B

alpin
    Free Member

thanks for your quick responses… not sure from which i should take any heed…. 🙁

chorlton
    Free Member

As long as he/she doesn't start lighting fires and they leave the place how they found it then it'll be ok.

finners

As long as you do it responsibly…. 🙂

http://www.outdooraccess-scotland.com/default.asp

you can even light fires too.

druidh
    Free Member

The only places currently in question are the Banks of Loch Lomond – and possibly Loch Lubnaig. There are moves afoot to create some local by-laws to outlaw camping here as it's mainly folk arriving by car and the numbers aren't sustainable (think open sewer).

Other than that, just don't camp in anyones garden and you'll be reet.

alpin
    Free Member

and what about with a campervan?

didn't realise he's going in a campervan….

forge197
    Free Member

FC are starting to clamp down on it in their car parks, there are a few signs cropping up around Kirri and such like.

Thought the signs were promoting wild camping but actually it was the opposite 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

Mainly OK, although lots of lay-bys have "No overnight stop" signs. Just find a quiet road somewhere and settle down for the night. It's obviously best to arrive late/leave early.

Does he have anywhere particular in mind?

alpin
    Free Member

fort william, i think

druidh
    Free Member

Hmm – might struggle a bit in such a popular area. In general, wild camping is about staying for one night, a couple at most. It's not about parking up for a week and avoiding site fees.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

'wild camp?'/ in a camper? LOL

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Wot druidh says – in a camper van you will be OK in remorte places but not near major towns – at Fort William just use the campsite – specifically stated IIRC in the code that you should use a campsite if available.

do not park up in passing places in the singletrack roads

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

Plenty of places that you will not get bothered for parking up in a campervan for a few nights around fort william. Not going to tell you where they are though, but seek and ye will find.

dave_aber
    Free Member

Either way, the whole Scotland experience will be a let down. Have you considered Wrexham?

jimmy

Bedford's the outdoor capital of the UK. Fact.

myheadsashed

http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=37814

Some info on island camping here 🙂

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘can you 'wild' camp in Scotland?’ is closed to new replies.