Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Can you still "adopt" a trig point??
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

Read something about this a long time ago, was at one today and just wondered?

craigxxl
    Free Member

Why would you want to?

mogrim

Why would you want to?

poor things are so alone, out there in the wilderness, no love, …

wrightyson
    Free Member

The one im thinking of is a sorry affair, spent a lot of time up and around it with the kids since we had them and it’s a mint leaning place after a nasty climb on the bike!

higgo
    Free Member

I’ve hugged a few but it’s a passing thing.
    I don’t know if I could commit to one.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I’d definitely commit to this one. It’s special. Where do I sign?? Was thinking of pimping it up a bit with some whitewash and brasso.

craigxxl
    Free Member

If you took it upon yourself to fix it up I don’t think anyone will object. Hugging too much might get some odd looks though.

footflaps

The criteria we have adopted, providing the landowner’s agreement can be obtained, are :

the first person or organisation to lodge an application for the adoption of a particular pillar will be permitted to do so, subject to various conditions (see below) ;

the applicant must agree to the terms of a Code of Practice drawn up for the purpose (copy enclosed) ;

the applicant must sign a memorandum of agreement with both Ordnance Survey and the landowner (copy enclosed).

Anyone wishing to adopt a particular trig pillar simply has to write to Ordnance Survey registering an interest. Ordnance Survey will respond enclosing a copy of “Guide to Adopting a Trig Pillar” (copy enclosed) and, on receipt of the applicant’s confirmation of a wish to proceed, will initiate action to obtain the landowner’s agreement, leading to the signing of the memorandum of agreement. Although Ordnance Survey incurs some administration cost, the process is free to the applicant.

duckman

We maintain the one on Ben Vorlich above Pitlochry. Paint every two years, get stuffed with food and ale in the Moulin afterwards. Winner!

stever
    Free Member

Yep, OS don’t need them anymore. Rather nice that people keep them smart.

FFJA
    Free Member

So who do you get in contact with? OS website doesnt seem to have any info. I rather fancy this theres a few in Swaledale

wrightyson
    Free Member

I’m just gonna give them a ring tomorrow and try and get an address.

FFJA
    Free Member

Awesome could you stick any details on here if you manage to get any? Cheers

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

yep – me too – one 100 yards from where I live

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Can you still "adopt" a trig point??’ is closed to new replies.