Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Can you recommend any strong patches?
  • applesandoranges
    Free Member

Hi sadly when converting to tubless for the first time I noticed a split in my used rear tyre.

I want to repair the split so was wondering if anyone has any recommendations kn good long lasting patches?

applesandoranges
    Free Member

I actually wanted to buy this but its not in stock and i cant find another stocker of it in the UK online.

Onzadog
    Free Member

How big is the split? I use automotive plug patches from eBay. 4 or 6mm depending on the side of the hole.

dovebiker

Car/motorbike tyre repair patches – plenty on ebay

warpcow
    Free Member

I’ve had several successes with ordinary tube repair patches, assuming the hole is relatively small. Even with slightly larger holes a patch on the inside and a dab of liquisole on the outside can work.

Kamakazie

Hutchinson repair kit

I got the larger (MTB) version which worked well for the one I used first.
    Bit pricey for 4 patches mind.

applesandoranges
    Free Member

How big is the split? I use automotive plug patches from eBay. 4 or 6mm depending on the side of the hole.

It’s about 3 mm id say, not the smallest but seen bigger

applesandoranges
    Free Member

It’s about 3 mm id say, not the smallest but seen bigger

Northwind

Stu is spot on, that’s the absolute best repair ime.

applesandoranges
    Free Member

I think ill order these look promising. Does the spray just go on the outside of the tyre? Does it fill the split kind of thing.

Also do i just insert the plug normally like a patch then just cut the excess from the outside of the tyre? Cant seem to find a video on a repair using these products.

applesandoranges
    Free Member

Stu is spot on, that’s the absolute best repair ime.

Hi i took yours and stus advice and bought this and its arrived today.

I was just wondering if you could give me a run down on how to do repair the split using this method before i have a go myself.

Thanks a lot.

colournoise

Sugru?

captmorgan
    Free Member

This should give you an idea but no need to use an air sander for mob tyres.

Northwind

Yeah, that vid is spot on. You probably won’t want to drill an mtb tyre but sometimes I’ll cut or nibble the hole just to give it a round centre- our tyres tend to slice rather than hole, and you really want a hole the size of the stalk/flappy bit for it to go through.

I like to slightly reinflate with a tube in, just to really mash it into place and make sure it’s going to keep shape nicely. Not too much as it might pull the cut open before the glue sets

applesandoranges
    Free Member

This should give you an idea but no need to use an air sander for mob tyres.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mflq7WD0V6o

Thanks man made it much clearer thanks mate.

applesandoranges
    Free Member

Yeah, that vid is spot on. You probably won’t want to drill an mtb tyre but sometimes I’ll cut or nibble the hole just to give it a round centre- our tyres tend to slice rather than hole, and you really want a hole the size of the stalk/flappy bit for it to go through.

I like to slightly reinflate with a tube in, just to really mash it into place and make sure it’s going to keep shape nicely. Not too much as it might pull the cut open before the glue sets

Thanks mate i amd going to have a go now,this will also be very handy for my motorbikes in the future aswell.

This methord looks much better than normal patching and sewing the split.

I will keep the thread updated 🙂

BigJohn

I’m trying to remember the Patches that Clarence Carter depended on.

PolisherMan

Just bookmarking for later.Cheers.

Tracey

I find it best to turn the tyre inside out when using the mushrooms and pulling them through with pliers to get a good fit around the hole. Once it’s dry turn it back and refit it.

applesandoranges
    Free Member

Worked perfectly now just to see if it holds. The type of split mine is the plug was a little loose but i made a little circle hole in it as advised and the sealent easily filled the rest.

Thanks for recommending this repair method to those who did, very easy to do, in many ways and looks like it will last.actually easier than sticking a regular patch on!

Cheers for saving me 30 quid in hard times.

applesandoranges
    Free Member

find it best to turn the tyre inside out when using the mushrooms and pulling them through with pliers to get a good fit around the hole. Once it’s dry turn it back and refit it.

Yeah i actually figured that out for my self, i turned it inside out and let it rest for ten minute’s and let the tyyre repair stuff do its thing. Stuck a tube in left it for another ten minute’s and jobs a good n.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Can you recommend any strong patches?’ is closed to new replies.