Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • Can someone recommend a diet.
  • DezB
    Free Member

an hour on the exercise bike

Wow! I no way I could swtich my brain off for that long.

8. Throw away your scales. You (probably) don’t want to lose weight, you more likely want to feel better/look better naked/feel stronger. Instead take a picture of yourself and then take another every week or 2 and compare how you look.

Agreed, scales mean nothing. Muscle is heavier than fat as any fool no.

nickc

Depends doesn’t it, whether you’re trying to lose weight or just look better?

Johndoh, up there losing a stone over 6 months is just vanity (nowt wrong with that) it probably doesn’t “need” a set of scales

Someone weighing in at 25 stones looking to live beyond their 35th birthday could probably use the info…

mogrim

I’m surprised nobody has mentioned the iDave diet.

What, apart from Ton 18 hours ago you mean?

johndoh
    Free Member

Wow! I no way I could swtich my brain off for that long.

I quite like it – I can zone out by playing music and just concentrate on the spinning – I usually average 90/100 rpm depending on the time of day/hangover/tiredness or whatever and my Polar HRM says I burn around 750/800 calories.

Johndoh, up there losing a stone over 6 months is just vanity (nowt wrong with that) it probably doesn’t “need” a set of scales

What do you mean? As in I didn’t need to lose any weight at 12st?

footflaps

I’m surprised nobody has mentioned the iDave diet.

and CFH 😉

MrWoppit
    Free Member

5:2 Diet. I lost 2.5 stone in two months. Still doing it as a “weight control” mechanism.

nickc

What do you mean? As in I didn’t need to lose any weight at 12st?

I’m supposing you’re otherwise average? Then no, you probably didn’t need to. The health outcomes for “normal” weight and “a little bit over” are almost identical.

You’ve changed your mass by 8%, d’you think that’s going to make any difference?

johndoh
    Free Member

I’m supposing you’re otherwise average? Then no, you probably didn’t need to. The health outcomes for “normal” weight and “a little bit over” are almost identical.

You’ve changed your mass by 8%, d’you think that’s going to make any difference?
    I didn’t do it for health reasons, I just wanted to get rid of an expanding tummy as I near 50 years old and don’t have the time I once had to exercise more regularly and have regular weekends away riding. And I just noted my experience as a response to the OP question. I don’t know why it appears that you have taken some kind of exception to my post. 😕

nickc

I haven’t take exception to your post, just using it as an example of vanity weight loss, in a wider ranging discussion about the use of scales when trying to monitor weight loss.

You’re reading more into it than there is.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

My Fitness Pal app on the phone and log EVERYTHING and don’t cheat/lie to yourself. I was doing 1800 calories a day (plus the extra to account for the daily running) for a few months and lost 2 stone.
    If you exercise every day then it’s surprising how much you can get away with eating

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

From personal experience I can highly recommend Norovirus if you are after short term quick weight loss. Pneumonia if you want a more steady, but increased weight loss.

Other than that eat sensibly, home made when you can, and move more.

johndoh
    Free Member

I haven’t take exception to your post, just using it as an example of vanity weight loss, in a wider ranging discussion about the use of scales when trying to monitor weight loss.

You’re reading more into it than there is.
    I am not sure what I am reading into it at all – I don’t know what you are trying to say!

nickc

I am not sure what I am reading into it at all – I don’t know what you are trying to say!

nothing about you

soobalias
    Free Member

get a room you two

johndoh
    Free Member

I’ll bring the Bubbly….

nickc

don’t, it’s fattening 😉

theotherjonv

If you exercise every day then it’s surprising how much you can get away with eating

You can’t outrun a bad diet.

johndoh
    Free Member

It’s alright, I won’t weigh myself.

wrecker
    Free Member

Depends how bad it is Shirley?

iainc

since getting to work at 830, I’ve had an apple and banana, and a nice salad 🙂

…and 2 caramel logs and a huge bag of crisps 😳

not recommended diet !!

tinribz
    Free Member

Have shed a few kgs the last month doing as advised above, myfitnesspal + healthy food + daily exercise, Endomondo will sync the calories burned.

Only word of warning, it’s tempting to cut calories too much at first, you get a big quick loss but the diet is unsustainable and upping it to a manageable level will see some weight gain even below daily recommended, did for me anyway. Was considering the 5:2 but the weight eventually started to drop of again. Could just have been water, as also mentioned tape measure is a better indicator than scales.

theotherjonv

Depends how bad it is Shirley?

That’s aimed at folks that think ‘I’ve done an hour of exercise, I can eat what I like now’

Folks like me, then.

bails

I think what he’s trying to say is that you want to get rid of your “expanding tummy”. If you do more exercise and eat better you may gain muscle and lose fat. The net result could be that despite looking and feeling better you don’t actually lose any weight because muscle is denser than fat. In that case using scales rather than a mirror to judge your progress/success would be bad because it would make it look like you’d failed when you’d actually done what you wanted.

MSP

You don’t gain much muscle unless you are hitting the weights hard, and you certainly gain **** all from doing aerobic exercise. And if you need to lose weight, are trying to do so with even a slightly restrictive diet, there is absolutely no way you would match or better fat loss with muscle gain, even if you were caning the roids.

bails

I’m just trying to figure out what nickc is talking about!

edit: although I guess it’s along those lines. If you want to look better the way to measure it is to look in a mirror and ask “do I look better after X weeks of exercise and eating more healthily?”. I suppose an easy way to see if you’re making any progress, before you look different, is by getting on the scales though.

nickc

there are 2 reasons why most people want to lose weight

1. my trousers don’t fit/influence of society/no one will have sex with me

or:

2. If I don’t, I’ll suffer long term and debilitating illness and disease.

The first (losing a couple of stone in 6 months for instance) doesn’t need the use of scales particularly (just mirror/belt notches/trousers falling down)

the second mostly requires the use of doctors, and rigorous monitoring of input and weight…

Is the point I was (clearly badly) trying to convey, in my post up there…

giant_scum
    Free Member

Slimming World as already said eat yourself thin.
    Free 7-day diet online http://www.slimmingworld.com/healthy-eating/non-vegetarian-menu.aspx.
    No need to deprive yourself of food just limit the bad stuff!

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Can someone recommend a diet.’ is closed to new replies.