Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Can I upgrade the LED's in my old cateye tripleshot to the next gen LED?
  • nasher
    Free Member

As the heading really

I have this model cateye tripleshot nimh battery pack, Its pretty crap compared to the latest gen, but the head unit seems really well made, can I just simply pop down to maplins buy 3 new LED’s and a soldering iron?

Or am i missing something? (probably there is a lot I’m missing)

Ta

smudge
    Free Member

Hi Nasher,

Your best bet would be to email troutie and see if he can convert if for you. It will come back good as new and tonnes brighter 8)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I Think that one is luxeon 3 w leds in which case cree xpes are a direct replacement and will increase the light greatly – even using the same optics should be OK.

XPGs are a much better led again – but will require different optics and I am not certain the driver is the same.

Try checking on candlepower forums for info

nasher
    Free Member

TJ, roughly how many lumens would the xpe’s give? I think my current light is a 130 lumens if I can get double that with a tesco LED torch on the helmet then I will be happy….

phiiiiil

I upgraded my Doubleshot a few years back using the instructions on this Candlepower thread; unfortunately it’s sufficiently old that the pictures no longer work.

The LEDs in the Doubleshot – and presumably then the Tripleshot as well – are a straight swap for Seoul P4s, although they are bare emitters rather than ones mounted on stars so the swap is a bit fiddlier but still fairly doable. The hardest bit is removing the screws that hold a plastic bit over the LEDs which are made of soft cheese and extremely difficult to get out intact; luckily you don’t really need all of them for it to still hold together (mine is missing two of six IIRC!).

My upgraded doubleshot isn’t a patch on a Magicshine on high or some other recent equivalent but it was a decent upgrade from what it used to be and well worth doing.

Looking on Dealextreme the P7s look very similar to P4s; I wonder whether they would fit? My doubleshot has been retired now, so maybe it’s worth an experiment… 🙂

Edit: The tesco torch I have is brighter but muuuuch narrower; the upgraded doubleshot is far better in terms of spread.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I don’t for sure know rthe current that the cateye uses. Double the light perhaps? 130 lumen sounds very low for a triple.

A cree xpe at 1 amp is 240 lumen ish – theroetical max. maybe 150 at 3/4 amp

trout
    Free Member

I did this conversion to a dead triple shot a while ago
    not really the same as a led swop but the owner was very pleased with the outcome

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=608544

nasher
    Free Member

wow troutie spettacolo!!!

I see that you build lights commercially, do you do conversions like that triple shot for people?

I have 2 thta needs converting, and can I use the same battery..

Cheers

A

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Can I upgrade the LED's in my old cateye tripleshot to the next gen LED?’ is closed to new replies.