Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • can i make my pro2 rear hub less noisy??
  • renton
    Free Member

my hope pro2 rear hub is very loud and its getting annoying now!!(only had the bike a week or so!)

is there any way of making it quieter??

cheers

steve

brakes
    Free Member

put grease on the pawls in the freehub instead of oil
    mine went silent (was a little draggy for a bit) but the noise came back after a couple of months but nowhere near as loud as it was

Olly
    Free Member

just put some grease in it, the honey coloured stuff, not the white silicon stuff.

pull the end cap off from the cassette end, twist and pull the freehub body off, making sure you dont loose any pawls or springs, put a blob of grease in it, and then "twist" it all back together again.
    5 min job.

renton
    Free Member

oh ok !!

is it easy enough to get the pawls and springs back in afterwards??

dave_aber
    Free Member

keep pedalling.

Macavity
    Free Member

Moly slip grease or Oregon red fluid grease

KT1973
    Free Member

Won't this cause a delay or miss in the pawls engaging?

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

dont pack them with grease, it'll stop the engagement and cause a lot of drag. just add a light smear and it should quieten it down a bit. otherwise get a different back wheel!

MartinGT
    Free Member

I love the sound of my hub 🙂

wwaswas

I find the noise of my Hope hubs generally replaces the need for a gentle cough when approaching walkers.

chakaping
    Free Member

keep pedalling.

😆

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

The design dictates that the noise is there for a reason. It is the sound of the pawl impacting the ratchet. By bunging this up with too much grease you risk making the ratchet/pawl interface slip which isnt a good idea. Hope show you how to service the hub on their website and unless you pack it to the hilt i cant see how anything more than they state is anything other than counter productive.

These pawls are 'slapping' the ratchet thousands of times when you are free wheeling. Imagine how little effect your grease has unless you pack it out.

If you dont like the noise you have bought the wrong hub. If you think you have quietened down your hub, i suspect you are dreaming or damaging it.

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

exactly – if its quiet then it aint working….

Trimix
    Free Member

I got one of those hubs, didnt realise it was so noisy till they built up my wheel. If I had the chance to spin it before hand I dont think I would have bought it. For me its way to annoying – agreed, it does act as a rambler warning system, but its slowly driving me nuts.

I will try to pack mine with some more grease. The metal springs which hold the pawls out are quite strong and a blob of grease wont slow them down much, but it may soften the noise a bit. I dont think they will slip though, unless your grease is more like tar.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Swap for XT, or an old Hope XC. I can't stand the noise either and that's what I did.

swallow
    Free Member

I listen to music whilst riding

freeridenick
    Free Member

I love the sound of my pro 2s. 8)

wl
    Free Member

Grease shut mine up. The click got on my nerves. It's a dead giveaway when sneaking through back gardens or along National Trust footpaths. Apparently.

Haze

I love the sound of my pro 2s.

Same here.

Mine though, I've not heard yours.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I can just about handle it on the mtb but I have some Pro3s on the roadie and they are interminable. Bad enough to not use their hubs again I'm afraid.

jackal
    Free Member

I've used Hope sport and proII hubs for years, and love the sound of mine too..
    The current one quietened down a little after I rebuilt it (swapped from 10mm to 12mm axle) which, as said above, is due to the grease on the pawls (only put a little bit on tho)..
    Just learn to love it, or get a different hub 😉

The loudest one was on my orange Big T, the swingarm amplified the noise 8)

oldfart

I think they make a good alternative to a bell ,Specially when approachinng red socks ! 😯

xc-steve
    Free Member

I did this as a bodge after my freewheel packed in made it nice and quiet!

sofatester
    Free Member

xc-steve – Are they little pieces of inner tube lovingly cut to size? 😀

xc-steve
    Free Member

@sofatester even better bits of innertube! Worked fine for the 2 weeks I had in there, only put official replacement springs back in as I missed the sound! Upon swapping back the rubber/inner tube was still like it was when I initially put it in. And I'd easily ridden 200..100miles on it like that!

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

does that actually work? if so – 10/10, thats a bloody good idea

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘can i make my pro2 rear hub less noisy??’ is closed to new replies.