• This topic has 6 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Doug.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Campervan, North Wales, 2 nights, what to do?
  • yoshimi

My wife has hired us a vintage VW campervan for a couple of nights.

It’s based in Mold, pick it up on Saturday morning and drop it off on Monday morning. She just thought it’d be a fun thing to do.

Can anyone help me out with an itinerary?

Simply looking at a map I was thinking about a big loop heading past Bala to Dogellau, Portmadoc, Snowdon. We don’t really want to be purely driving all day long so looking for ideas along the way.

Places to see, things to do, scenic campervan sites?

Thanks

robfury
    Free Member

It’s been a long time since I ve been over that way but if you want a spot to camp near the beach I used to stop at hell s mouth beach car park right at the dunes though that was 10 years ago.

kendonagasaki

I fancy a go on the zip wire at Zip World, but didn’t manage to get round to going this year.
    As you’re near Betwys-y-Coed there’s lot’s of good cream teas on offer 😀
    And if you’re up for a short walk, then a walk up to the Blue Lake above Fairbourne is worthwhile. It’s an old quarry and you walk through the old mine tunnel. Whenever I’ve taken friends & family up there it get’s a wow.

JulianA
    Free Member

That Blue Lake above Fairbourne brings back many memories, mostly sad. Lovely place, though.

Lots of narrow gauge steam railways around there, nice walk up to the Dolgoch Falls if you are going that far south, don’t know if the slate mines at Blaenau Ffestiniog are still open (interesting underground trips if they are), Portmeirion is good, good bird watching at Penmaenpool and Ynys Hir, great walk along the old tramway at Foel Yspri and I think some mountain biking might be available nearby if memory serves.

Great view up the estuary from the Mawddach Estuary, too.

Nice place, have fun! Nice van, too!

beicmynydd
    Free Member

Head over to Porthmadog from Bala you can go to portmeirion or jump on the welsh highland railway or ffestiniog railway. From here it’s not far to beddgelert and then over towards llanberis where you can go up snowdon by foot or train or if it’s raining take the underground power station tour.
    work your way then towards betws y coed and to blaenau where you can go on an uplift day, on the zip wire or bounce below or if you don’t have energy down the slate quarry by train, just look for llechwedd.
    Just a few options

yoshimi

Thanks for the suggestions guys. We’ve been looking at the underground slate mine which is a definite!

Doug
    Free Member

Have a look at Go Below between Betws y Coed and Penmachno if you fancy something a little more active underground. Highly recommended!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Campervan, North Wales, 2 nights, what to do?’ is closed to new replies.