Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Camelbak Palos or other hip pack-real world experiences?
  • ruggerbugger
    Free Member

Looking to get the palos, anybody use one or something similar?
    Thanks

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I have the Osprey one, Talon 6 I think.
    I like it. Fits everything you need, the water bottles are good and it isn’t too obtrusive/annoying.

Can’t complain/would recommend

slightreturn
    Free Member

I’ve got one. It’s not bad. I find that it works loose quite a lot on the hips. Camelbak do a slightly smaller one that I’m considering

nairnster
    Free Member

Just got a palos. First ride with it today hopefully.

bwakel
    Free Member

I had an earlier Camelbak with hip bladder and found that the water ended up on one side or the other and pulled the pack sideways which made it really uncomfortable. Hopefully they’ve changed the design since.

Beagleboy

I’m kinda interested in one of these designs as well. I’m struggling with a fair amount of lower back pain whilst riding and wondered if lowering the centre of gravity on the backpack would help.

Anyone with similar issues tried this?

C. 🙂

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

Used a similar one in the 1990’s a North Face one, just kept slipping down.
    Nice idea though. I think the Americans call them fannypacks…

SimonR

Used mine a fair bit over the last few months – really like it. Nice to get some air to your back and forces you to travel light. I think it’s the latter that helps if you’ve got a dodgy back – there’s less than 5 litres of storage.

May be stating the obvious but try and avoid over-filling it – the bag still needs to wrap round your waist to keep it stable. I off-load a tube to under the saddle to help and can stuff a wind-proof a Fabric tool holder on the cage mounts.

Took a bit of practice to get the bite valve back in it’s magnetic catch but soon got the hang of that.

It does slip a bit – although that reduces as you empty the bladder. The adjusters could do with a bit more ‘bite’ to grip the straps (slightly ‘toothier’ or put a tighter bend into the strap perhaps?)

However, anything over a couple of hours or where you need to carry a proper waterproof/spare layer/camera then it’s back to a normal pack.

nairnster
    Free Member

Well first ride impressions of the Camelback Palos.

It was a nice feeling to not have shoulder and sternum straps on, it definitely made me feel free-er in that respect.

I had already put it on in the house (although empty) and it felt very good.
    Today it had a litre of water, a lightweight windproof and that’s it. It just doesn’t stay tight. The straps seem to constantly work loose and so it was soon sitting much lower and needed tightening. The cinch straps seem to have very little to no positive effect on this, no matter how hard I pulled on them.

Although the magnetic tube trap is a great idea, I found it impossible to relocate the tube whilst actually riding. This in turn made it impossible to drink whilst on the move as I was always left with the tube loose and unattached.

If I can come up with a way of stopping the waist strap loosening (I am thinking velcro) and can practice to attach the tube, or come up with a way of attaching it to my jersey/jacket then it may stay. At the moment I am 50/50. It’s got massive potential, but to me isn’t quite the finished article.

My advice would be to see if you can borrow one before buying. If I had had the chance, it would have saved me the money.

SimonR

…. meant to add that tightening the cinch straps up (internal straps that I think are intended to stabilise the bladder) seemed to make it slip more … not sure whether you noticed this too nairnster?

nairnster
    Free Member

Ah that could explain some of it. It didn’t seem to make much difference to anything. I haven’t figured out how you loosen the cinch straps back off though?

Beagleboy

Aaah, I seem to be thinking of something different. Those are more like bum-bags you guys are talking about, whilst I was thinking of rucksacks where the design places everything lower on the back. Think it’s something like a Camelbak Skyline I was thinking of.

Still interested to hear if anyone with lower back issues has tried one of that style and whether it gives any relief. Most of my rides tend to be 2-6hrs in length so I need to be self sufficient with a fairly big pack.

C. 🙂

lardman
    Free Member

I have an Evoc Race 3L Hip Pack.
    It’s just fine for size, when you’re on a 1-2 hr ride.

Straps do seem to slip a bit, but not too bad. I leave them alone when the pack is on anyway.
    However, the hose is NOT long enough TBH. It wont reach easily to my mouth, if the hose is routed the way that they suggest, but i’ve solved this by just running the hose out the top of the pack. Seems to be fine like that. The magnetic grip thing is pretty good, and easy to re-locate after drinking.

Otherwise, a great pack and good entry ‘pull’ system and space organisation.
    It’s nice to have the back free.

strangey13
    Free Member

I found mine moved around quite a bit no matter what I did with it. Also rubbed on my hips quite a bit when it would slip down. Using a Skyline pack now which i find a lot comfier and more stable, and it’s a lot easier to drink from on the move.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

My Osprey one stays tight, never had any issues

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

The alternative is to move stuff onto your bike (frame, top-tube, seatpost bag, whichever is necessary). I’ve done this and either use water bottle on bike or have a very lightweight (and different design with the straps) 2 litre water pack on my back. Saves me wearing a heavier backpack or fannypack (which I think are not all they’re cracked up to be on the bike).

warpcow
    Free Member

I’ve had a Dakine Lowrider for a few months now. Tbh, I still prefer a backpack-style pack, which I never had any issue with to begin with. Filled to anywhere near capacity (and not much: ~1l water, multitool, tube and co2) it just bounces around quite uncomfortably. Probably going to sell it on when I get around to it.

rOcKeTdOg

i’ve got a source one

as i like this hip thing but all the ones i’ve tried before have bounced about too much so i wanted the straps, So it keeps stuff off your back but supports the weight on your hips. The reality is it works, it doesn’t bounce about but the straps are too thin and they dig in your shoulders. I’ve added some padding to resolve this but i still prefer not to use it and use my frame bag instead

jonnym92

I’ve been riding with this “Hip-Bag” from Decathlon this winter.
    I have a bottle on the frame and manage to fit a surprising amount into this.. (x2 tubes, pump, chain tool, multi tool, leatherman, and a little box of spares) including my phone and usually a rolled up waterproof in each of the side pockets.
    It stays put, the straps need to be up fairly tight and I tend to wear it a bit higher on my waist. I haven’t tried any others so not sure what to compare it to, but I’m pretty chuffed for £9.99

thomthumb
    Free Member

any experiences with race face rip strip?

looks good for tube/ levers/ Co2

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Camelbak Palos or other hip pack-real world experiences?’ is closed to new replies.