• This topic has 16 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by tails.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Cambridge folk – please recommend…
  • Yak

a restaurant for a party of 9. I’m organising a get-together but I have not been to Cambridge for about 20years, so have no idea what’s good or not. Something reasonable, not too expensive, but not the death-van either. 🙂

willard

Darrys. Fits both ‘good’ and ‘not too expensive’ boxes. They do seasonal stuff and have a good wine list. Central town too. Not sure if you can book, but for a party of 9 I think they would want you to.

Alternatives would be St. John’s Chop House (bottom of Madingley Road), The Smokehouse (in town near the market square I think) or 22 Chesterton Road if they can take you and you like spending a bit more money.

If you wanted something a bit outside town, The Hole In The Wall in Little Wilbraham is good.

TimP
    Free Member

Last time I was back we went here
    http://www.riverbarsteakhouse.com/
    and there were 8 of us. Worked out pretty well. Went for Surf and Turf burger which is actually a half lobster and a standard burger

Yak

Thanks – getting peckish just looking at all these.

footflaps

Darrys.

Spent most of my teenage years there, when it was the Cambridge Arms….

They do have a really nice private room you can book, we’ve used it before. Seats about 12 IIRC.

sbob
    Free Member

Can you narrow down the criteria?
    I’ve eaten in most Cambridge restaurants from Mr Burger to Midsummer House.
    I personally think the two Chop Houses are overpriced and terribly ordinary, although I do like Smokeworks, especially for their beef ribs and the informal setting may suit your party.
    Caveat: Vladimir, the head chef is a friend of mine.
    Incidently, the Chop Houses and Smokeworks are owned by the same company who have just opened another restaurant, Millworks. One of the few I haven’t tried.

sbob
    Free Member

footflaps – Member

Spent most of my teenage years there, when it was the Cambridge Arms….

We’ve almost certainly met. 😀

footflaps

We’ve almost certainly met

In the late 80s is was the pub everyone from Long Road 6th form went to. Hills Roads bunch went to The Anchor.

Yak

Can you narrow down the criteria?

no specific food criteria – just after ideas. Liking the look of D’Arrys.

BigJohn

9 people at a restaurant in Cambridge? Invite Jeremy Paxman too so you can have a starter for 10.

Yak

boom-tish… 😀

MrGreedy

willard – Member

Darrys. Fits both ‘good’ and ‘not too expensive’ boxes. They do seasonal stuff and have a good wine list.

I was going to say D’Arry’s for exactly the same reasons. Used to be a good place for first dates for those reasons too…

Yak

Great – d’Arrys it is then.

thanks.

timmys

Smokeworks is great but not bookable IIRC

toby1

Smokeworks doesn’t have a space big enough for 10!

One of the few I haven’t tried.

Millworks is very much in the same vein as the other Cambs cuisine places and very, with the exception being that the concrete booths are a crap idea. IMO I’d go for the Chop house on Kings street although D’Arrys is good too.

Ditch the mainstream chains and there’s loads of good food in Cambridge.

Steak and honour has opened it’s fixed location – but let’s keep that between ourselves as it’ll be heaving anyway without any more publicity!

tails
    Free Member

Opposite darrys is the brew house which also meets your criteria. Bedouin on Mill road is supposed to be good. Some new place on quayside as well

tails
    Free Member

D’arrys have a new bar upstairs although it’s a bit spendy

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Cambridge folk – please recommend…’ is closed to new replies.