Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Cable cutters – neccesary?
  • atlaz
    Free Member

I need to cut some cable outers to length and my bike maintenance book is telling me that I NEED “proper” cutters. Usually I’d use my cheapo homebase ones that do fine for coax, electrical cable etc.

Needed or not? I say not but I don’t want to make the builds look like crap for the sake of 15 quid.

uplink
    Free Member

Side cutters will crush the cable – if you have any parrot blade cutters, they’ll do it
    or a Dremmel

pantsonfire
    Free Member

I have a pair of these and they make a lovely clean cut on the inner and the outer

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CK-AIRCRAFT-BOWDEN-CABLE-%26-WIRE-ROPE-CUTTER-T3744-_W0QQitemZ130291510913QQcmdZViewItem

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

surely you cannot see the cuts due to the end caps ?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Pliers work fine for me – either the side cutters or the scissor type cutter at the side of the hinge.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I have a pair of these and they make a lovely clean cut

I have some similar from Maplin for about £8 inc P&P

nickjb
    Free Member

I used pliers for years as they worked. Recently bought some proper cable cutters and they are miles better. Wish I’d done it years ago.

antigee

no doubt the specially designed ones will do a better job but i just use ordinary cutters from toolmart and then file the end clean / open it out with a small round file (removing any filings) – as said you can’t see it but if you don’t fettle it so smooth and clean you will feel it

allyharp

The difference is huge. I bought expensive Park ones but I’m very glad to have them.

markenduro
    Free Member

If you buy the park ones they also have the crimping area on them for the cable end caps, not strictly neccesary but will make the job much easier and more professional.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Proper cable cutter are loads better than side cutters of pliers, but if you heat the inner cable where you want to cut it 1st with a lighter, then cut it while it’s still hot, it cuts much more cleanly.

cynic-al
    Free Member

definitely a tool that people don’t regret buying, despite the fact that the job can be done with pliers, endless filing etc.

TomB

Just got these from screwfix, after seeing one of the reviewers uses them for bike cables. Very cheap, and worked absolutely fine on recent cable and outer change.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Yup. They go straight into that category of “how did I ever manage without one” (Ans: I didn’t and spent ages bodging)

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

then cut it while it’s still hot

I think the heating destroys the hardening, so the temperature when you make the cut doesn’t matter.

trailmonkey

definitely a tool that people don’t regret buying, despite the fact that the job can be done with pliers, endless filing etc.

+1

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Maybe I have decent pliers but they produce a clean straight cut with no fraying. I cannot see proper cutters would do it any better. easier perhaps but the end result I get is neat anyway.

coogan
    Free Member

I got meself a decent set of cutters, made it all so much easier and neater after all the other half arsed ways I did it.

atlaz
    Free Member

Went to screwfix and bought the suggested ones. The SAVING on the Pedros ones were more than the entire cost of the screwfix ones.

cynic-al
    Free Member

TJ – even with indexed gear outer housing?

mudshark
    Free Member

A tidy cut helps push the cable through an outer. It’s a one-off cost so I got the Park one.

lunge

I bought the Park ones and was very disappointed, can’t get them to make a clean cut at all, i end up trimming with pliers which somewhat defeats the object.

uplink
    Free Member

If you want really good quality cutters try some Felcos – not really necessary for occasional cuts though

Park tools are – at best – adequate IMO

If you put an old bit of inner inside the cable prior to cutting it – it prevents it crushing at the end

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Cable cutters – neccesary?’ is closed to new replies.