Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Cabin/Captains/High Sleeper Beds
  • hammerite
    Free Member

Jnr needs a room update. We’re thinking of getting him a high sleeper type bed that has a desk underneath and a futon type thing in case he has a mate over to sleep. Something like this:
    http://www.bedzrus.co.uk/catalog/childrens_beds/highsleeper/Studio_with_FREE_MATTRESS_355_405.html

or http://www.bedzrus.co.uk/catalog/childrens_beds/highsleeper/Thuka_Trendy_Jubilee_1_11563_405.html (maybe not at nearly £700 though!)

He’s 11, 5′ 3″ and weighs just short of 9st (yes he’s big for his age!).

A few questions for anyone who has had these for their kids.

At what age did they decide that this arrangement was a bit childish for them?
    Are they sturdy enough for a big lad (he might not be yet, but we don’t think he’s ready to stop growing for a few years yet)?
    At what size (of child) does this type of arrangement become uncomfortable/unmanageable?
    Any other practical reasons why this might/might not be suitable?

My sister had this sort of thing when we were kids, but she stopped growing about the same size as Jnr is now!

Any help is useful.

hammerite
    Free Member

Anyone?

bazookajoe
    Free Member

We got a wooden ikea loft bed off gumtree for our no.2 (Ikea Stora, the older one with desk/drawers but you could put any desk underneath)

It was too tall so we took a foot off the ladder and legs, so fits brilliant. It’s got drawers/shelves underneath though the big desk would probably be too low now to fit. She wanted something along the lines of like Teddy’s bed from Good Luck Charlie but saw this kind and wanted it. We put mdf across the bed slats and put a single mattress and a rug so there’s space up top for toys/play/junk, etc.

She’s only 5 but it’s well solid and will last until she moves out. I’m 11st and it’s sturdy enough for me, I’d like one too.

The benefit of that one and other loft beds is there’s plenty space underneath for play/seats/tv/big bean bag so frees up loads of space, especially in a small room. Drape material round it and it encloses the space underneath making it all den-like and private.

No.1 has a metal frame one like in your links, hers was from Bensons for Beds for about £300, it just doesn’t seem as robust as the wooden ikea one. It creaks and needs screws tightened up a lot more. I’d say check gumtree for the wooden ikea ones that have storage underneath, unless you’re desperate for brand new. Our wooden one was £50, saw others for around £100 – £150.

hoodoo
    Free Member

Ikea again. For son No.1 used a Stora which is a double loft bed for adults. This is important since we are using a proper mattress with ordinary depth instead of a kiddies mattress. Government guidelines specify a minium guard rail height of 10 cm above the mattress and the Ikea bed provides this.

Hired a massive DeWalt sliding mitering saw and cut all the timbers so that the bed would fit a single mattress. reduced the height so that it clears the Stuva storage system by a few cm’s. Bought a doweling jig to remake all the joints that I lost when lopping bits of wood off.

Gained loads more usable floor space in a small awkward shaped room. He’ll never grow out of it as it’s the only option unless he becomes super minimalist.

Bed is strong enough but will be fixing to the wall using metal brackets to make it super sturdy and (hopefully) creak free.

midlifecrashes

We got an Ikea metal single high bed(maybe Tromso, or similar) from ebay for 99p, but used the space beneath for a short wardobe(Ikea again) and a chest of drawers/dressing table. It was fun trying to assemble all that lot in a tiny room on Chrismas eve without waking the kids.

Our eldest moved in there when she was seven, she’s fifteen now and despite being offered rooms three times the size, loves her cozy room, though there is very little space to add any more shelving now. It’s strong enough never to grow out of, not uncommon to see three or more kids up there on it without showing strain, and as it’s a full size adult single mattress no need to swap to a bigger bed for sleeping in. Our house has high ceilings, so that helps I suppose, adults can sit up fully and not be near the ceiling.

Saccades
    Free Member

I stopped using mine at 18 when I left for Uni and never really went back home.

Dad made a bed with 2″ high sides or so (above a proper matteress) and lofted it ~5′ into the air on a sturdy frame giving loads of room underneath for stuff and the ability for me to touch the ceiling whilst on my back.

Don’t get the futon thing, 99.9% of the time it’s taking up space thats better used for putting shelving/stacking space, dad unbuilt mine and if anyone ever stayed over we used a blow up bed and sleeping bag.

It’s probably the best thing in the world for discouraging you kids from girls back to the house as well.

jag61

we had an ikea one for the eldest girl in the ‘box’ room she found it to be too hot and claustraphobic being able to head the ceiling when sat up in the bed. I Cut the legs down to let it sit on top of the overstairs box thingy. still got space under and youngest now has it they might be better in a larger/higher room

hammerite
    Free Member

Thanks all, lots to think about. Jnr’s room is actually a reasonable size, but want to maximise the space available still.

MoreCashThanDash

The high ones with a desk underneath are great if there is sufficient headroom for a growing lad when he sits up.

And from bitter experience with mid sleepers, the higher they are, the more impressive the vomit splatter……

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Cabin/Captains/High Sleeper Beds’ is closed to new replies.