Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Buying wider bars…
  • danjthomas
    Free Member

Im buying some 720-740mm bars as an upgrade for my 690mm. I will be buying oversized riser bars. What else should i look for. is there such thing as crap bars?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Look for rise, sweep, weight etc.

Nukeproofs and Renthals are the two best I’ve used.

sparkyrhino

for the first few rides watch out for the narrow gaps.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I got some super wide bars whilst in the Alps last year. It too me a good 1/2 day of constant riding to get used to moving my arms more to steer. Sunline v1 745’s.

Well worth the effort though.

patriotpro
    Free Member

I’ve got a Nukeproof Warheads (Yellow) cut to 720 which i’ll sell for £30 if you’re interested…

That’s in original Nukeproof box, sent via courier and includes a pipe-cutter.

Any good?

martymac

dont fit them just before an epic ride.
    my mate fitted 800mm ones to his HT ended up with a sore back.
    mine are 720mm, which is what my mate ended up cutting his down to.
    both of us are really broad shouldered though.
    also, ‘measure twice, cut once’

patriotpro
    Free Member

720mm is a good balance between not being able to fit through trees and steering leverage.

The extra width allows a bit more breathing space too.

philbert31
    Free Member

I’ve got 740mm Renthals on my HT, i thought it might be a bit much but it’s awesome, takes some getting used to but deffo worth it and imo Renthals are the best! 🙂

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’m a total convert. I’ve switched from 660mm bars on my old full susser to the full 760mm Nukeproof monty. They’re ace!

My xc full susser and hardtail have 710mm bars now which feel spot on to me. I’ll never go back.

*edit* Under no circumstances fit 760mm bars to your bike and go for a post beer ride through dense woods.

bwaarp
    Free Member

The Nuke proof 760’s I had flexed like hell. In a bad way, they still managed to buzz the hell out of my hands.

On some much nicer syntace bars now….. go for Renthal, Syntace, Burgtec, Sunline or Spank. Can’t go wrong with any of those bars. Look for at least 8 or 9 degrees backsweep on wide bars.

patriotpro
    Free Member

The Warhead’s I have have never given any negative flex whatsoever.

What I can say is that it was like going from non-power assisted to power assisted steering from the off!

Stiff as and refuse to be bullied off the chosen line – Love em.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Buying wider bars…’ is closed to new replies.