Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Buying a used bike
  • Caher

Nile I am still waiting for the police to find my 3 bikes and the insurance company to pay up I’m thinking of buying something off eBay. Just need to get out in them hills again.

Anything I should be aware off when buying secondhand? I it better to buy new always?

cynic-al
    Free Member

I wouldn’t buy anything I couldn’t see and check for wear.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Need to make sure it is A1 for safety.

If you spend peanuts then don’t worry.

I’d still want to know it has zero damage by pics or cash when collecting.

Northwind

Either check it first for wear and tear, or price it so you can throw a bit of money at it. Frinstance if I buy a full suss frame, I work on the assumption it’s going to need new bearings (even when people genuinely think they’re fine, they often aren’t!)

I’ve only ever bought a couple of new bikes- I just couldn’t afford to get new ones to the spec of my used ones. But it does depend a lot on how comfortable you are checking and spannering a bike.

mrmo
    Free Member

be aware that ebay is one way of shifting stolen bikes, like yours, the last thing anyone should do is fuel the trade in stolen bikes, so don’t be afraid to ask questions, ask to see the receipt, etc. why are they selling, etc.

And remember if it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

meehaja
    Free Member

slightly off topic, but i’d use this opportunity to buy something like nothing else you normally ride! for me it’d be an XC whippet, that way you can get an old hardtail with some bendy Sids on, 9 speed (hell, even 8 speed will be fine!) something a bit old and classic!

Caher

Hmm maybe buy new then. Want avoid some potential bike thief.

MrNutt
    Free Member

You’re best off buying from the STW classifieds, if they are a regular poster you can rest assured that the wear will be minimal, perhaps one or two rides maximum. 😉

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Buying a used bike’ is closed to new replies.