Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Buying a skateboard for a 7 yr old, help!
  • acjim
    Free Member

I’d like to get a skateboard for my eldest for his 7th birthday but I’m not a skater and have no idea what I should get. Our local pavements / roads are pretty rough so should I get something with big or soft wheels, or am I just being ridiculous and any old board will do?
    I’m guessing a basic street style board would be best?

Any skater parents out there to advise?

Thanks

igm

We got our boy one of these as recommended by the skate shop in York.
    Mindless Shock £25

Seems well made – just a bit smaller for smaller people.

That said I wasn’t a skater until Charliethebikemonger sold me a long board a month or two ago.

acjim
    Free Member

Cheers, how’s the long board going? Every time I try skating I end up arse over t1t!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    butcher

I’m guessing he hasn’t got one yet, and thus would be learning from scratch?

I wouldn’t worry too much. Avoid anything with cheap plastic wheels. Get something that has a concave. Decent maple. Around the £50 mark should get you something half decent without going overboard.

When that’s knackered, and if he’s still into it, then you can get him something better.

igm

Longboard is excellent if blinking scary. I snowboard and Charlie told me on that basis I’d find the long board straight forward. It was – took about 20 minutes to get the basics working. What he didn’t mention was that it’s never far from your mind that if you fall you land on tarmac not snow .

Incidentally that £25 board was pretty much as good as most of the £50 ones to my eye. Trucks were less polished / well finished and the bearings were a little rougher, but the deck itself seems pretty good. Bearings can be changed if and when they wear out.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I love my lads “street surf” board. Took it for a spin on the newly laid floor at work on Wednesday before all the oiks start paddling their shit across it. They take a bit of getting used to but are a joy to ride when carving sharp turns.

iamroughrider
    Free Member

6 to 8 years

skateboards

9 to 12 years ( larger and bigger feet for his age I guess)

skateboards2

If he’s after something decent that’ll last and can be rebuilt I’d go with the Enuff. The adult ones are great.

Have a look at the site though as he may be after a slightly larger one depending I guess on his weight and foot size.

OR just get a £7 or £10 No fear One like these and see if he uses it and enjoys it – it will still be reasonable – even for that price.

cheap skateboards
    Then get something half decent

iamroughrider
    Free Member

also the Tony Hawk junior one looks good too ( last link )

skids
    Free Member

Just make sure it rolls some of those toy skateboards don’t really roll. If he is actually serious about skaing get hime a proper board even a cheap complete, at least he will be able to do tricks on it
    http://www.rollersnakes.co.uk/category/skateboard-completes.html

jkomo

I got one from SS20 in Oxford, classic old school skate shop.
    Can’t remember the type but it’s a proper size for a seven year old.
    I’m sure they sell online.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Buying a skateboard for a 7 yr old, help!’ is closed to new replies.