Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Bus Drivers
  • pjt201
    Free Member

Is it just me, or do bus drivers give the greatest threat to the commuting cyclist?

I was cycling down gloucester road/cheltenham road in bristol this morning and was in the asl in front of a bus outside maplin with about 10 other cyclists. I then pull away from the lights (when the went green) and the bus driver pulls into the right hand lane (which is a right turn only lane) to overtake me and then pulls across me just before the right turn, forcing me to stop. he then joins a load of traffic while i'm cycling up the bus lane at which point he changes his mind and turns into the bus lane without looking again forcing me to stop only for him to have to stop 10m or so later as there is a car parked in the bus lane!

I almost never have near misses with cars, however buses are always pulling out/in/across me without so much as batting an eyelid. I should try and take more number plates and write complaints in the future i think.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Sounds annoying! Its worth complaining to the bus company

In Edinburgh no they aren't a serious hazard however. Over the last few years bus drivers have become more co operative with cyclists – noticed by a couple of other folk as well as me. Stopping to let you out of junctions, careful observation to avoid cutting you up etc.

I think its because cycling in Edinburgh is so popular now that cyclists have reached the "critical mass" to be seen as normal road users

Most days I get a bus giving way to me when there is no legal need to but it is polite.

Quite astounding!

alexpalacefan

My partner had a terrible run-in with a bus driver from Nottingham City Council.

She complained and disciplinairy action was taken against the driver which included some re-training.

You should do the same, next time it could be serious for some other cyclist.

A

Coyote
    Free Member

Arriva bus drivers here in St. Helens are *****. One of the latest incidents invloved a bus trying to squeeze past a traffic island at the same time as me. Close call that one. Oh and the other who decided to swing his bus right across the road as I was approaching at speed. He also got quite upset when I told him what a cock he was. Wouldn't open the doors though.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

you are not on your own. I drive a lorry all day and they just pull out on me. Some of them are shocking. If they were'nt packed to the raftera with blury eyed commuters then I Would be more than happy to stand my ground and plough into the ignorant sods.

Smee
    Free Member

TJ – that is probably because the city council are insisting on the bus drivers being tested by secret passengers or whatever you want to call them on a regular basis. This was after the statistics came out that showed Edinburgh to have the most cycling fatalities per head of population of any city in Europe

dmiller
    Free Member

Strange but First Glasgow cause me no trouble – nothing but praise for the drivers of the 36 and 38 if any of them happen to read this!

Private hire taxis on the other hand…

MrAgreeable

PJT, get the bus's number next time and give Worst Bus a ring. I did this once when I saw one jump a red light at St James Barton roundabout – not amber gambling or anything, properly blatant – and they sounded quite interested. I don't know if anything came of it but it's gotta be better than tutting on here.

I think bus drivers are the natural enemies of cyclists, as they know that as soon as you start cycling to work for free, instead of paying £3.50 to ride in a unpunctual ASBO box that stinks of tramp's farts, you'll never be back!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Goan – actually I have been in contact with the people who train the bus drivers and there have been no special efforts put in on this – only as a part of their usual training.

Where on earth do you get your info from about Edinburgh and cycle casualties? I really really doubt it

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

In Edinburgh no they aren't a serious hazard however

agreed but soon you'll have tram tracks to deal with, instant death 🙂

pjt201
    Free Member

Mr Agreeable

I did this once when I saw one jump a red light at St James Barton roundabout – not amber gambling or anything, properly blatant …

They jump redlights all the time on the centre – hard to describe, but the light for buses doing a u-turn around the cenotaph (turning towards lewins mead).

Yeah, should get on it really, think I could have at least a numberplate a week to complain about though!

Smee
    Free Member

TJ – who exactly did you contact?

Got my info from the DSA regarding cycling fatalities in Edinburgh.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Linky goan? – csualties in Edinburgh compared to London or manchester are low from my experience and cycling rates high – but that is without stats

I spoke to both their PR person and the person responsible for driver training

Smee
    Free Member

Dont have a link. They did say there were 8 cycling fatalities in Edinburgh in 2007 though, bearing in mind that Edinburgh is a small city.

Whose PR person and who was responsible for driver training?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

FFS Goan LRT PR PERSON AND LRT DRIVER TRAINING BOD!

8 deaths in Edinburgh sounds a lot but Edinburgh has a high % of cyclists and cycle journeys

Smee
    Free Member

Why the anger? I was merely trying to find out who had given you the information that contradicts what I've been told. You should maybe remember that there is more than one bus company in Edinburgh – not all do inhouse training. Less caffeine might help.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Why the anger- your attitude. You question everything anyone says and make frequent baseless assertions yourself and refuse to admit any hint of wrong even when proven.

Smee
    Free Member

I make no apologies for asking questions.

I have never been proven wrong on here.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Yeah right Goan – you have on several occasions – clear to everyone but you

Smee
    Free Member

Such as when?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

sort it out fellas 🙂

TerryWrist
    Free Member

My commuting enemies:

Pedestrians: stepping out without looking, prompting the most near misses.

Drivers (buses and cars): touch wood had no problems.

Cyclists: knocked off me bike by another cyclist.

So I conclude that the most dangerous cocks out there are people on bikes.

Oggles
    Free Member

Wouldn't open the doors though.

You usually can open them yourself from outside. And stop the engine 😈

I was run into a raised island thing once (over a foot tall) just the right height for some pedal grinding. The numpty overtook and turned left across me. Bad enough in itself, except only half his bus was in front of me when he turned, boxing me between the bus and this concrete. Cue banging on the window and frightening the life out of some old dear.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Bus Drivers’ is closed to new replies.