Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Burnley to Blackpool – route advice?
  • RustySpanner

Hiya.

Doing lots of road stuff to the North, East and South of Burnley at the mo, but not explored much over toward Preston way yet.

Thought a Blackpool trip might give us a good excuse.
    Not mad about the place, but it’s a destination.
    🙂

Should be OK to Preston, we’ll just take some of the quieter roads alongside the A59, unless anyone has any better suggestions?

Not a clue from Preston out to the coast though.

Would prefer something Sustransy if there’s anything you’d recommend, quiet roads if not.

Thanks in advance.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Suggest you Google the route that they use for Manchester – Blackpool ride. It would take you North from Preston onto the quieter back-roads.

RustySpanner

Cheers, will have a nosey.
    🙂

fingerbang
    Free Member

would you not want to go via sabden, Clitheroe then trough of bowland to Lancaster?

MrSparkle

Nice-ish route would be to head towards Blackburn then make for Houghton. You can then pick up the Guild Wheel at Avenham Park. If you follow this for a few miles you can drop off it and pick up cycle paths/quieter roads and get out to Lytham and then just whizz up the road to the shit hole that is Blackpool.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

As above ^^ but instead of going via Lytham, get off the Guild wheel at Cottam (just the other side of UCLan sport arena) and follow route 62 to Sidgreaves Ln, turn north and then turn left after Bartle Hall and follow the local route via Blackleach lane, through Wharles and then up to Elswick, stop at Bonds for an ice cream then pick up the 90 and go through Thistleton, over the A585 ( which is fast and busy so watch that bit !) through Singleton, and down to Blackpool.

Why you’d want to go to Blackpool though is beyond me. Horrible place. Better idea is to get an OS map and follow all the smallest lanes you can up through the Fylde coast, and maybe go up to Knott End for some peace and quiet and fantastic views across the Bay, before looping back.

edhornby

In-laws live in Preston and I’d avoid riding a bike through it if I could, too many A roads and not enough quiet places to cross the Ribble…

Look at crossing at ribchester then Longridge, broughton , kirkham and Lytham to sit and eat your ice cream looking at a pier but without the horror of the south shore 🙂

vondally
    Free Member

Try heading through the trough of bowl and to settle and back, quieter and final destination a lot nicer…….I have to work in Blackpool occasionally…

Or trough to Lancaster and then back nicer

martinhutch

Anywhere’s better than Blackpool – Morecambe gets you lovely views over to the South Lakes, at least.

kirky72
    Free Member

I’ve ridden to blackpool and around knott end way a few times from Padiham side of burnley.

Out towards Clitheroe. Cut through wallet and then Mitton then over towards Longridge. Various options from there although dependant on if you want more direct or quieter country roads through nice villages which comes with some extra miles.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

In-laws live in Preston and I’d avoid riding a bike through it if I could, too many A roads and not enough quiet places to cross the Ribble…

The best way to get to the Guild Wheel at Avenham is this. If you’re coming down the hill from Houghton, at the bottom of the hill, at the roundabout opposite the old mill, turn left and go up Kittlingbourne Brow, over the motorway, and onto School Lane. Turn right at the roundabout, and then left after the Pear Tree pub, wiggle through the back roads to get to Bamber Bridge Football Club. Go under the bridge and you see a big roundabout to your right. Cross over the road, and you’ll see a small lane going off to the left. It’s on Brownedge Rd on Google maps, just before the roundabout. This is the old tramway cycle route, just keep following that, all the way down through the trees, until you cross over the Ribble on the old tramway bridge. When you get to the park, turn left and you’re on the Guild Wheel. Just follow this until Cottam, and then pick up the route I described above.

Chew
    Free Member

Have a look at the Good Companions Audax

Link

That will give you a ice circular route out to Blackpool and back

RustySpanner

Cheers everyone, just had a chance to read all that, much appreciated.
    Will give it a go next week.

Do Sabden & Clitheroe quite regularly as part of a Pendle Hill loop, so might save my energy for way out west.
    🙂

simmy
    Free Member

Guild wheel round Preston, continue on the section past the car dealerships after the docks but stay on the main road where the guild wheel goes over the bridge.

Keep right at the lights towards Blackpool, then first road on right towards Clifton. Pass through Salwick, wharles, roseacre, elswick then head out on the sustrans route towards Blackpool.

If you have an OS map it will be obvious. On that route, after Clifton there is little traffic until elswick and even then it’s not busy. I’ve done it a few times.

thepodge
    Free Member

Perhaps a bit late but just spotted the BHF Manchester to Blackpool route and remembered this thread. Thought it might be of some use

Map and GPX

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Burnley to Blackpool – route advice?’ is closed to new replies.