Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 177 total)
  • Bullshit that has become true through repetition
  • konabunny
    Free Member

Someone on the “defence spending review thread” said

It’s just one of those things where someone’s bullshit has become the accepted truth because it’s repeated so often and because so many articles are just cut-n-pastes.

I came across two examples of this sort of thing recently.

1) Max Moseley like Nazi S&M

This was the NoTW’s claim. It was complete sexy bullshit, as they well knew. Interestingly, it’s sexy bullshit that the High Court ruled on: http://www.bailii.org/cgi-bin/markup.cgi?doc=/ew/cases/EWHC/QB/2008/1777.html&query=Mosley+and+nazi+and+sex&method=boolean

. I found that there was no evidence that the gathering on 28 March 2008 was intended to be an enactment of Nazi behaviour or adoption of any of its attitudes. Nor was it in fact. I see no genuine basis at all for the suggestion that the participants mocked the victims of the Holocaust.
    There was bondage, beating and domination which seem to be typical of S and M behaviour. But there was no public interest or other justification for the clandestine recording, for the publication of the resulting information and still photographs, or for the placing of the video extracts on the News of the World website

If you’ve ever wanted to find out what the best language for sexy times is, well, the court has considered that too.

2) Jean Charles de Menezes jumped the tube barrier and ran towards a train before he was killed by police

This was also complete bullshit, yet spread by many still today: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Jean_Charles_de_Menezes

Most likely spread by the Met.

What is your favourite thing that is bullshit that is treated like the truth?

jimjam
    Free Member

Religion.

Shackleton

Thatcher’s economic miracle?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

pre-2012 Turner 5-spots had a HA that was too steep…

religion

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Where to begin…

garage-dweller

Well clearly….

All cyclists are red light jumping, pavement riding, horse terrorising, unlit, ninja attired sociopaths.

Vehicle excise duty is called road tax and pays entirely for roads so if you don’t pay road tax you can **** off (even if your road tax is on a car that’s parked on the drive and you happen to be easing congestion by riding your bike).

Law abiding driver.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Gideon Osborne knows what he’s doing.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Tapered steerers.

mattyfez

Neuro linguistic programming.. You’d be surprised just what people will believe if fed the same information from as little as three or more seemingly seperate mediums, such as a friend talking, a news article and a Facebook post.. The brain just accepts it as truth on a sub conscious level.

wrightyson
    Free Member

You can have too much fall on foul drainage so that solids get left behind. Utter shit literally!

beefheart
    Free Member

Religion

End of thread right there.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Neuro linguistic programming.. You’d be surprised just what people will believe if fed the same information from as little as three or more seemingly seperate mediums, such as a friend talking, a news article and a Facebook post.. The brain just accepts it as truth on a sub conscious level.

That’s what THEY want you to think. Makes you think, doesn’t it?

konabunny
    Free Member

All cyclists are red light jumping, pavement riding, horse terrorising, unlit, ninja attired sociopaths.

That’s just hyperbole.

I’m talking about things which people claim are factually true, get picked up as the consensus, yet which are demonstrably factually false.

SaxonRider

religion

I’m not suggesting for one minute that you have to believe it, HOWEVER…

there is a slight difference between an enterprise which thousands of civilisation’s brightest philosophers and other thinkers have set their minds to exploring and explicating, and whether or not JCdM jumped a barrier along with other urban legends.

Northwind

The tories can be trusted with the economy

aracer
    Free Member

Mountain bikers wanted demanded 650B 😈

poah
    Free Member

i before e

aracer
    Free Member

Strava is worthless because lots of people cheat

beefheart
    Free Member

That’s what THEY want you to think. Makes you think, doesn’t it?

Holy shit, I don’t know what to think anymore…

thomthumb
    Free Member

You eat spiders in your sleep.

Spin
    Free Member

Don’t think you’re doing to get the kind of answers you were looking for Konabunny.

Are your examples just what we might call urban myth?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I will tell you what to think. While you sleep.

bearnecessities

EDIT: Nah, best not.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Donald Trump is some kind of business genius – people often quite his “if it appreciates buy it, if it depreciates lease it” mantra, but it’s nonsense as a one-size-fits-all rule.

Truth is he’s a serial bankrupt who’d be much richer today if he simply took the fortune he inherited from his father and but it in a bank with an interest rate above inflation.

aracer
    Free Member

That “rule” is so counterfeit, and there’s not even any science to the “except after c” modifier.

konabunny
    Free Member

Are your examples just what we might call urban myth?

No, urban myths are archetypes and morality plays about fictional people presented as fact. My examples are deliberate lies that gained current through repetition and almost became true.

beefheart
    Free Member

I will tell you what to think. While you sleep.

I’m a heavy sleeper, you’ll have to shout. 😀

footflaps

Where to start? Just about anything from Conservative Central Office e.g.

Labour / Gordon Brown caused the last global slump by over spending.

All benefit claimants are feckless scum

All disabled people are also feckless scum

Starving the poor is good for them

Benefit sanctions work

Prison works

All Muslims are terrorists

Jeremy Corbyn is a threat to national security.

bedmaker

The lightest bike is the best bike.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Lance was clean

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Quite a few things about the Hillsborough disaster.

trail_rat
    Free Member

a windscreen will shatter if you use slightly warm water to defrost them,….

chewkw
    Free Member

JC is overrated as the new messiah as everyone claims him to be. 😆

I want wine! Why you … good wine. Free wine!

See … told you he cannot make good wine.

No wine? No vote.

Now … where are all the tonnes of fish he promised …

Northwind

footflaps – Member

Jeremy Corbyn is a threat to national security.

Specifically for Corbyn- Jeremy Corbyn is friends with terrorists, and Jeremy Corbyn things it’s a tragedy that Osama Bin Laden is dead. The best lies have just a little bit of truth in them.

jimmy

Christmas. Every **** year.

jimdubleyou

The Labour Party actually gives a shit about people.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Putting a teaspoon in the top of an open champagne/preseco/fizzy wine bottle keeps the fizz in.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Fairy liquid corrodes yer bike
    Tubeless is a faff
    Enduro ain’t proper racing, it’s just riding with mates
    The premier league is the best in the world…..

outofbreath
    Free Member

The bloke out of Red Dwarf who was on Robot Wars was convicted of rape.

He wasn’t.

When he came up in conversation a week or so back everyone on our table thought he had been until we googled.

bearnecessities

I fitted his sky many years ago. I pooped in his bog 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 177 total)

The topic ‘Bullshit that has become true through repetition’ is closed to new replies.