Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Building up a road bike- Shimano 105 5800 has me stumped. Help please!
  • cokie

Hi all,

I’ve embarked on my first road bike build having previously bought the bikes complete.

It’s all going well but I can’t seem to install the gears correctly.
    I’ve got the mechs on and the cable fed through the correct location on the side of the lever but I can’t seem to get the lever to pull the cable.

Is there any instructions anywhere? I’m really struggling wit working out how to set it all up.

Any help would be much appreciated!

munrobiker
    Free Member

Have you made sure the shifter was set to the smallest cog when you installed the cable? It is possible to thread the cable through when the shifter is set anywhere up to the middle of the cassette- obviously the end of the cable won’t be in the slot for it so the cable won’t pull.

Mister-P
    Free Member

It sounds like you haven’t located the cable end properly. Have a look at the dealer manual HERE and it should be a piece of cake.

toppers3933
    Free Member

Yes the cable end isn’t in the carriage. Remove the cable and back the shifter off to the highest gear and try again.

brassneck

Yup as above, did exactly that till I read the dealer manual – the instructions in the box weren’t of any use.

globalti
    Free Member

Be sure to post pictures when finished so we can sneer at your decking or garden fence.

cokie

Thanks all! I must have clicked it a few times during instillation.

Few pictures of the work in progress.. Gears still need to be indexed, waiting on a SL-K Post and SI saddle. Riding position hasn’t been set up yet so plenty to do. Don’t even get me started on the grass and the weeds.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Building up a road bike- Shimano 105 5800 has me stumped. Help please!’ is closed to new replies.