Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Building up a new Stumpy- PF 30 and crank questions…
  • happybiker
    Free Member

I was about to buy a Stumpy Expert Carbon but decided to get a (discounted) frame as I’m going to use my existing Pikes, wheels bar, stem and Reverb.

So the frame takes a PF30 BB, it actually comes with a SRAM plastic one in the box but I’m thinking of getting a decent Alu one, like Wheels Mfg or KCNC. CRC are doing oldish BB30 XO 10 speed doubles for £100 which I’ll swap the spider for a DM ring.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/sram-x0-10-speed-chainset-bb30-bb/rp-prod81599

Those with PF30 experience, what’s the best setup BB wise, I’m partial to SRAM cranks because of the removable spider.

This will go with 1×11 M8000 XT drivetrain.

orangeboy
    Free Member

My enduro still has its three year old sram pf30 cups in it with one change of bearings. But it does not often get wet and never use the bike wash.

I glued them in and it’s all nice and quite.

slimporcini
    Free Member

3 YEARS OLD?!! wow! my one year old enduro is about to get it’s fourth set of bearings. to be fair it gets very wet very often and i am not the best at keeping it clean.

I am currently using a wheels mfg BB, which is alright. bearings are easy enough to replace. it seems to me that BB bearings are a consumable item like cassettes and chains these days.

patagonian
    Free Member

SRAM X1 direct mount crank on my hard tail and the original SRAM PF30 BB lasted weeks. I don’t rate the original plastic cups but to be fair the amount of water that ran out of the frame probably didn’t help the bearings and no I don’t power wash the bike. Replaced with a Hope PF46 which works by both cups screwing onto a centre tube so effectively locking itself into the shell. £85 so a bit pricey which is the only downside.
    I converted from 2×10 and I think the weight savings was about 400g.
    I’m also running XT M8000 at the back.

theboyneeds
    Free Member

Fitted a Hope PF46. The Sram one didn’t make 12 months.

happybiker
    Free Member

Maybe I’ll use the SRAM one and see how long it lasts before I upgrade. Decided to stick to my old (perfectly serviceable) 1×10 XT kit after pricing up M8000. Still going for the XO cranks though.

Tracey

Fit a Hope one. Might be a bit more expensive but worth it.

gavjackson1984
    Free Member

With the hope pf46, once you’ve installed the cups, can you just replace the cartridge bearings when required? And is it a simple case of knocking them out and pressing some new ones in?

happybiker
    Free Member

Cool, will give that a go.

orangeboy
    Free Member

For winter I use a rigid ss with bsa bb the enduro never sees the winter mud.
    Gluing the cups in means it is just the bearings that I change not a whole pf30 bb

Tracey

Should build up into a nice bike. I have the xo xt 11 speed setup on my Enduro. Needed a spacer on the drive side as the chain ring was too near the chainstay. Went with the 170mm cranks for a bit more clearance and running a 28t ring. Will probably fit the bigger cassette when they come out and go back to a 30t one. Never used the SRAM 32t that came with it.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Building up a new Stumpy- PF 30 and crank questions…’ is closed to new replies.