Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Building Regulations (stairways and landings question)
  • spooky_b329

Just a quick off topic question before I raise this issue with the powers that be…can’t really find an answer on Google but I think I know what it will be.

Situation:

Flight of external stairs, at top is a steel gate that opens away from the stairs across the landing. There is no landing on the outside, you unlock the gate with a key whilst standing on the stairs and then it opens away from you across the landing. Is this permitted? I know it definately wouldn’t be allowed to open the other way, over the stairs… (it was installed in the past three or four years)

The issue is compounded as it has a heavy self closing mechanism to open against, and it can only be partially opened due to mechanism being poorly designed/installed, so you have to manouver round the gate to get off the stairs.

It is the main/only access to the building except for fire exits.

ffej
    Free Member

In my view, part K (Protection from falling, collision and impact) of the Building Regs would not permit this. It probably also falls foul in other areas.

Landings
    1.15 Landings should be provided at the top and bottom of every flight. The width and length of every landing should be at least as great as the smallest width of the flight. The landing may include part of the floor of the building.
    1.16 To afford safe passage landings should be clear of permanent obstruction. A door may swing across a landing at the bottom of a flight but only if it will leave a clear space of at least 400mm across the full width of the flight

spooky_b329

Thanks, and a point I hadn’t really picked up on was as the gate doesn’t fully open it restricts the width of the landing, so if someone held the gate fully open (against the angle iron door stop bolted to the floor to prevent the gate from snapping the opener – trip hazard) someone walking up the right hand side of the stairs wouldn’t be able to get off them without walking sideways across the top step.

I think a few photos and some phone calls are in order.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Building Regulations (stairways and landings question)’ is closed to new replies.