Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Building a workshop between house and garage
  • valleydaddy
    Free Member

After some advice from the STW knowledge base please 🙂

We need to build a workshop for the wife as her home business is expanding and needs it’s own space.

We have a “dead” area inbetween the house and the garage that we would like to utilise.

It is roughly 7ft wide and 18ft long with brick walls either side.

I intend suspending a wooden floor between the 2 walls on joist hangers, put batons up on walls and insulate and plaster board the walls, Tong and groove the ends with either wood or upvc, and put in a window and door at rear onto garden.

My quandry is the roof how do I do that between 2 walls?

I guess having it sloping towards the back to harvest the run off water into a butt, is it best to use a plastic clear solid roof like in conservatories but how would I attach it to the walls and waterproof it etc.

any help would be appreciated

thanks

Pete

spooky_b329

Might be tidier and more permanent to brick the two ends and create a double garage.

House will be more desirable with a double garage especially if half is usable as a home office. A lean to style structure with a flat roof could put people off for fear of leaks.

Also, a conservatory style roof will make it an oven in the summer, a fridge in the winter, and noisy in the rain. An insulated flat roof with skylights or ideally a sloping roof with Velux’s would make a much more pleasant room.

All comes down to cost I suppose.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

Spooky I get where you are coming from but the gap isn’t big enough to make a double garage really.

plus I am confident with working with wood/upvc but my brickwork leaves a lot to be desired.

I suppose I could get a quote for a fibreglass roof installation does anyone have an idea of costs of those??

TheBrick
    Free Member

You can get plastic flashing now cheaper than lead.

nickjb
    Free Member

Someone has built a kitchen extension in a similar situation in the current (May!) issue of ‘Real Homes’ magazine. Might be worth a look for some inspiration. You may need planning and/or building regs depending on all sorts of things which will influence what you do.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

cheers nickjb, I will have a browse when I am next in the newsagents 😉

flatfish
    Free Member

You’ll have to look on the lower shelves for that mag pete. 😉

konabunny
    Free Member

lol

Might be worth trying your local library to see whether they have it – you’d be able to photocopy the article that way or borrow the magazine (once it’s not the current edition), couldn’t you?

hamishthecat
    Free Member

I think you will need Building Reg’s approval. You probably won’t require planning permission – but I’d recommend checking with the council.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

@flatfish 😆

yes hamish, I think I’ll have a chat with the council just to be sure what I can do without upsetting them, but really just want to create a posh shed

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Building a workshop between house and garage’ is closed to new replies.