Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • budget car tyres direct
  • jamesg55
    Free Member

anyone know any sites where you buy budget car tyres direct from distributors?

I just want the cheapest rubber going. thanks

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

When I’ve looked into cheap tyres its never been worth doing anything other than getting the cheapest tyre from whatever your nearest Kwik-Fit-or-similar chain garage is selling. You might save literally one or two quid and it’s not worth the bother.
    Distributors will only deal with the trade too.

dmck16
    Free Member

Camskill seemed to be the cheapest supplier a couple of months back, although that was specifically for some half-decent Vredstein tyres.

EDIT: My local independent garage swear by Black Circles as being the cheapest way to get tyres. Only reason I didn’t use last time was lack of available Vredstein stock.

5lab

part-worns near me start around £25/corner fitted – normally a much better tyre than you’d get in a budget range as well. Otherwise, as above, check your local fast fitter, they’re probably within a nadge of cheapest

yorkshire89
    Free Member

Black circles and camskill have always been cheapest for me.

jamesg55
    Free Member

k, thanks for the replies. think I was on black circles a minute ago. but i’ll double check

Sundayjumper

I’ve used BlackCircles a couple of times recently and it worked very well.

I went for Toyos, they were only £50/each so it didn’t seem worthwhile going for megaditchfinders or part-worns.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I just want the cheapest rubber going. thanks

part-worns near me start around £25/corner fitted

I’ll second that, place near me does part worns, always big brands 6-7mm tread for £25 to £30.

sbob
    Free Member

jamesg55 – Member

I just want the cheapest rubber going

Surely a troll? 😉

Trouble with part worn tyres is that they may have worn on a car with a completely different suspension set up to yours. 💡

ETA: Just Tyres have always been good for me. My local place are quite happy to haggle and they don’t use air tools; torque wrenches only. 😀

Gary_M
    Free Member

Trouble with part worn tyres is that they may have worn on a car with a completely different suspension set up to yours

Used them for a few years on my Peugeot before it died as the guy is 5 minutes away from work so less hassle than going anywhere else. Never had an issue present itself that may have been due to the tyre being used on a car with different suspension. What sort of ‘trouble’ are you referring to?

carlosg
    Free Member

Used Black Circles for year now without problems £75 a corner for 4×4 tyres. IMO cheap tyres you don’t know the history of are false economy but that’s me.

newrobdob
    Free Member

I had some tyres fitted by a local gagrage who were partnered with a few of the online tyre places. I got mine via BlackCircles and when I went to get them fitted the guys there said BlackCircles budget tyres were the best budget ones by a mile, more modern tread pattern and better compounds.

I’d definitely use BC again, I paid £200 fitted for 4 205/50/r17 mid budget tyres

newrobdob
    Free Member

I looked into partworns too – expensive for anything branded and therefore about the same price as some new mid budget tyres. I’d rather have new than unknown history tyres any day.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I looked into partworns too – expensive for anything branded and therefore about the same price as some new mid budget tyres. I’d rather have new than unknown history tyres any day.

Me too. That saving was minimal over a cheapie new tyre and, surprisingly, someone else has already used part of it and you have no idea if the casing is damaged either.
    I think I got a Kuhmo for £45. Could have got something cheaper for £35-40 but it’s pointless on a car you’re going to actually get some use out of.

johndoh
    Free Member

Yep another Black Circles user here too – and they do Quidco too.

sbob
    Free Member

Never had an issue present itself that may have been due to the tyre being used on a car with different suspension.

And hopefully you shouldn’t, as under normal driving conditions you’ll never be at the limits.
    I’ve demonstrated the effect to others by swapping front and rear tyres.
    🙂

Gary_M
    Free Member

expensive for anything branded

£25 isn’t what I would call expensive

no idea if the casing is damaged either

The guy I used inspects them before buying.

Each to their own, having said that I would rather have a new decent brand tyre anyway.

johnners
    Free Member

Never had an issue present itself that may have been due to the tyre being used on a car with different suspension. What sort of ‘trouble’ are you referring to?

And hopefully you shouldn’t, as under normal driving conditions you’ll never be at the limits.
    I’ve demonstrated the effect to others by swapping front and rear tyres.

What effect were you demonstrating?

sbob
    Free Member

What effect were you demonstrating?

The effect of classroom simulation on nursing students’ self-efficacy related to health teaching.

br
    Free Member

I’ve a pair of practically new tyres in the garage that came on a car I bought a few years ago.

No name, or no name I’d ever heard of. I drove them once in the wet and after struggling to stay on the road had them replaced (with Avons)…

Just go to a local Indy and ask them for their cheapest tyres they’d put on their wifes/mothers/sisters car.

newrobdob
    Free Member

£25 isn’t what I would call expensive

I looked extensively for some partworns in 205/50/r17 to save money, cheapest was £40-50ish each. Same price as the new ones I bought.

deadkenny
    Free Member

dmck16 – Member 
    My local independent garage swear by Black Circles as being the cheapest way to get tyres.

When I used them the tyre garage insisted I should go to them direct next time as they can do it cheaper than BC.

Whether that’s true or that they don’t like BC because they get less of a cut for the same tyre I don’t know. Said garage is shutting down though.

simmy
    Free Member

Whilst I understand people may be on a budget, one thing I won’t do anymore is have cheap tyres.

I don’t drive like a clown anymore as my job depends on it, but some cheap tyres I had just didn’t grip in the wet. They were like wood.

I’d rather eat beans on toast and sit with no heating on for a week to get the money together for decent tyres than get cheap ones.

Regarding part worms, my mate swears by them. When I said to him, you don’t know what they have been through, his comeback was ” well if you buy a second hand car, you don’t change all the tyres and it could have been up kerbs through potholes or anything ”

Could argue with him about that. I still wouldn’t buy them though.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I looked extensively for some partworns in 205/50/r17 to save money, cheapest was £40-50ish each. Same price as the new ones I bought.

I was never charged more than £30 for 7mm tread big brand part worms, £25 for 6mm.

timber

Tyreshopper have worked out well for me. Had what I wanted at a good price.
    Could try a slightly different width/profile if you have a not particularly common tyre size at present. Slight adjustments are fine, cars across the range will have a variety of sizes. A change may even improve the ride.

butcher

When I’ve looked into cheap tyres its never been worth doing anything other than getting the cheapest tyre from whatever your nearest Kwik-Fit-or-similar chain garage is selling.

I think it depends. If you have small wheels prices are cheap anyway and savings are not that great. If you have huge wheels where premium tyres can set you back £200 a corner, then there are real savings to made.

Small wheels and cheap tyres, you’re probably just as well going to a tyre fitter unless you can get someone to fit them very cheap. A lot of places will charge £15 a corner fitting, which is half the price of a cheap tyre fitted.

takisawa2

Tyre-shopper.co.uk

Tyres are fitted by National tyres or at home,
    Can’t fault them, would certainly use again.
    Complete set for my Galaxy (which needs high load rating tyres), was £160.
    Did the part-worns thing years ago, ii found it was mostly false economy.

Pieface

My neighbor runs a garage and he has no qualms recommending BC. They get £10 for fitting each tyre and you may get Clubcard points too.

newrobdob
    Free Member

I was never charged more than £30 for 7mm tread big brand part worms, £25 for 6mm.

Good for you. 🙄

grtdkad
    Free Member

Black Circles user here too. Great prices on a wide range of tyres, branded and ‘discount’

But get the best you can afford, those few square inches of rubber are the only point of contact you have with the asphalt …

Northwind

PeterPoddy – Member

someone else has already used part of it and you have no idea if the casing is damaged either.

As with all tyres on used cars?

dmck16
    Free Member

[*]deadkenny – Member
    dmck16 – Member
    My local independent garage swear by Black Circles as being the cheapest way to get tyres.
    When I used them the tyre garage insisted I should go to them direct next time as they can do it cheaper than BC.

Whether that’s true or that they don’t like BC because they get less of a cut for the same tyre I don’t know. Said garage is shutting down though.

My local indy have been completely honest in admitting they would much rather I came direct for tyres, but they cannot compete with BC pricing – therefore they recommend BC.
    It’s win win I suppose.. I get a good price for tyres, they get a fee for doing it – I’m then happy with their honesty which leads to continued custom (servicing, repairs etc.)

*sorry, getting a bit OT now*

totalshell

unbelievably there is a world out there away from the tinterweb.. knock on the door of your local independent fitters they ll happily do deals mine always says he ll beat any price and he does.. . no one makes any money on tyres they are nailed down tight as a drum..

much like lbs when the fella on the street corner is gone where you gonna go?

milky1980
    Free Member

Whilst I understand people may be on a budget, one thing I won’t do anymore is have cheap tyres. I don’t drive like a clown anymore as my job depends on it, but some cheap tyres I had just didn’t grip in the wet. They were like wood.

Same here. When I was a penniless student I had some Road Champ cheapies from ATS fitted to my Clio and lost control in the uni car park two days later in the damp at low speed. Insurance chased ATS for the damages as the tyres were found to be not of ‘Merchantable Quality” and won 😯

My fronts are due replacement now and I’m happier taking it easy on worn Dunlops (2mm) than I would be on some no-name chinese crap or part-worns.

Always found the local chain here, King David Tyres, to be the cheapest if you pay online. Beats all the others by a tenner or more a pair.

stumpy01

totalshell – Member

unbelievably there is a world out there away from the tinterweb.. knock on the door of your local independent fitters they ll happily do deals mine always says he ll beat any price and he does.. . no one makes any money on tyres they are nailed down tight as a drum..

Whereas when I rang my local tyre place to see if they had any deals or could get close to an online price I had found they pretty much just said ‘nope’ and that was that.
    No offer of alternatives, no asking about budget and seeing what they could do for the price etc. just nope, the price is the price….

The independent garage I use for servicing will fit tyres for £10+VAT (so, £12 a corner) so I order from Camskill, get them delivered direct to the garage & drop the car in when it’s convenient.

Don’t like the idea of part-worns – seems like a potential unknown quantity that I’d rather not take the risk with. I tend to buy mid-range tyres & have never had any problems with them; Kumho’s, Falken’s etc. Even the Matador MP64’s that I put on when I was stuck for time & choice performed very well & lasted for ages (apparently Matador is owned by Continental according to the fitter & their tyres are almost as good but are a heap cheaper).

Gary_M
    Free Member

newrobdob – Member

Good for you.

Aaah is someone a bit grumpy post festive season?

newrobdob
    Free Member

Aaah is someone a bit grumpy post festive season?

Not really, just wondering why you keep bragging about the price you paid. The tyres I wanted were not available at the price you paid when I needed them.

newrobdob
    Free Member

Not my experience, they were all more expensive for the same thing.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘budget car tyres direct’ is closed to new replies.